100gr GS - IMR7828 - 3765fps

bullet

Handloader
Dec 26, 2007
Our hunting season for rifle ends the 21st of Jan and I have a new load to try before it ends.

There were no pressure signs using IMR7828 and a 100gr GS moving 3765fps, as you will see on the brass, group good enough for hunting and at 2 1/2" high at 100 gives highest point of +3.75" at 200yds, zero of 350yds point blank a 450yds hold on top of shoulders and good out to 550. This is one flat shooting cartridge for sure with the GS.

IMG_7938.jpg

IMG_5649.jpg

IMG_7939.jpg

That is Cruisin' for certain. The deer better be very afraid..... :grin:
That is halfway to 257 STW velocity. I wonder if it will kill the brass fast tho.

I had a load in my 30-378 that showed no pressure, but the primer pockets gave out after 3 firings. I had kept that lot seperate and only lost 20 rounds, but that was enough with the price of that stuff.

CC.

jtoews80":4u7n0493 said:
That is Cruisin' for certain. The deer better be very afraid..... :grin:
That is halfway to 257 STW velocity. I wonder if it will kill the brass fast tho.

I had a load in my 30-378 that showed no pressure, but the primer pockets gave out after 3 firings. I had kept that lot seperate and only lost 20 rounds, but that was enough with the price of that stuff.

CC.

The GS's do not create great pressures due to the driving bands are the only thing that touches the lands.

Tomorrow morning I have to go do some counseling in Hattiesburg and I will pass by my shooting range. I will leave early and try one more load that has less than a grain more powder charge and a OAL of 3.209" as apposed to the 3.200" that I shot today. I believe with the low pressures I am getting I will be close to 3800fps. With this new load if I get a group less than an inch, then I will have almost the bottom end of velocities and accuracy I got out of my 257-300Wby. This 257Wby is much more efficient than the 257-300Wby and preforming close to the velocities I was getting accuracy loads in the 257-300wby. The GS's will ensure less barrel wear just by their design. I certainly will not be shooting prairie dogs with this load moving this fast. I let the barrel get completely cold before the next shot. But what is so cool is that the GS's do not heat the barrel up as much as the TSX's or conventional bulletst do. I had less time to wait between shots of as much as 33%.

WOW bullet. I cant wait to do some more tinkering. That group and velocity is fantastic. 3800 looks is 1/4 grain away, then you can tinker with oal and get that thing really shooting. :grin:

That is why I love GS customs. The only true copper bullet that literally minimizes pressures. I get 3100 fps + with 330 gs in my 416 bee. I only run them at 3080 fps though!

POP":2ztxhwhb said:
That is why I love GS customs. The only true copper bullet that literally minimizes pressures. I get 3100 fps + with 330 gs in my 416 bee. I only run them at 3080 fps though!

You make a good point POP and it is so true about less pressure using them. I could not contain myself so I went this even. I found where max was with the IMR7828. I also found that when I seat the bullet closer to the lands pressures can jump quick. I tried 3.209" this afternoon and pressures rose some. So I will be backing back down to 3.200" and will come down a little to about 3725fps which will even give me more accuracy I think, notice I said I think. Tomorrow I am also going to try the CCI 250 primer since today I use the Fed 215 primer. Finalizing my load will take a little more work but this is truly a hot rod for sure.

bullet,

That load is a flat liner --------------------------------------------------------- :wink:

JD338

JD338":l1a7ipyx said:
bullet,

That load is a flat liner --------------------------------------------------------- :wink:

JD338

You know Jim, it is, and I got lucky in the order of the chain load.

bullet":2blu82o2 said:
POP":2blu82o2 said:

You make a good point POP and it is so true about less pressure using them. I could not contain myself so I went this even. I found where max was with the IMR7828. I also found that when I seat the bullet closer to the lands pressures can jump quick. I tried 3.209" this afternoon and pressures rose some. So I will be backing back down to 3.200" and will come down a little to about 3725fps which will even give me more accuracy I think, notice I said I think. Tomorrow I am also going to try the CCI 250 primer since today I use the Fed 215 primer. Finalizing my load will take a little more work but this is truly a hot rod for sure.

see here!

http://www.gsgroup.co.za/hvbore.html

JD338":18co4oor said:
bullet,

JD338

A flat liner to whatever it hits too............... :grin:

Back