11.7mm Danish

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
About to embark on a new project! Learning, loading for, and using the 11.7mm Danish Rolling Block!

I've been dreaming of shooting this big boy since I was a kid, 50 years ago. Dad decided he'd never get around to shooting it, so he gave it to me a few days ago. Stand by for a handloading and range review!

Guy

Sounds fun! Looking forward to your progress reports

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A local buddy of mine got his copy of QL just so he could work with this same cartridge. The old cartridges are fascinating. It is interesting to see the improvement in performance with newer components.

hodgeman":3hxya0iz said:
It's a Euro flavored 45-70!

Yes, they are very close! Dad tells me that sometime in the late 1940's or early 1950's he managed to cram a .45-70 into it and shoot it once - but that it didn't fit real well. I can't get a .45-70 to drop into the chamber, so he must have worked some magic back then... :grin:

People tell me the bore on these things is often around .460 - .462, so I'm looking for hollow-base, soft lead bullets of at least .459" dia, something that will "bump up" and fill the bore when fired.

I'll slug the bore first anyway - just to check.

Guy

That is pretty danged cool. Never heard of the cartridge. Where do you get brass for it?

I have passed up on a few of those over the years wanting a smaller caliber. I did find one when I was a teenager in 7mm Mauser but my father wouldn't let me buy it, said $50 was too much for it and he was probably right since that was back in the 1960's. Wish I had it now.

SJB358":2ce3hoaj said:
That is pretty danged cool. Never heard of the cartridge. Where do you get brass for it?

Can form it from .348 Win brass.

.45/70 brass is close, but... not quite right.

Buffalo Arms actually sells ammo & brass for it, using re-formed .348 Win brass:

http://www.buffaloarms.com/

Guy

Guy Miner":1uao3nrr said:
SJB358":1uao3nrr said:

Can form it from .348 Win brass.

.45/70 brass is close, but... not quite right.

Buffalo Arms actually sells ammo & brass for it, using re-formed .348 Win brass:

http://www.buffaloarms.com/

Guy

Hmmm. That's pretty damned cool Guy. I imagine the Danish came long before the 348.

It's almost hard to fiddle with 348 brass. It's not exactly common either.

https://www.loaddata.com/Cartridge/117x ... ngton/7095

Just comparing the drawings, you might be able to form it from 45-70 trimmed and tapered. The rim is a touch different, but depending on the tolerances in your rifle, it will probably fit.

RCBS and Huntington dies both use 45-70 to form this, although I'm not sure a special forming die would be necessary.

I've always wanted a Scandinavian military rolling block ever since I was outbid on a Norwegian one at an auction. I had the next bid, but the stupid auctioneer wasn't paying attention.

Would be fun to tag a deer or bear with one or take it to a BPCR match.

Those old Remington rolling blocks were widely used in Europe and Egypt. Actually all over the world in some sort of military cartridge or another. There was even a pistol model made.

I've also got a double-barrel rolling block pistol... It's COOL!

Guy

I think the big thing on this is going to be finding the true diameter of the rifle's bore, then selecting a good cast bullet that fits properly.

Am thinking a hollow-base bullet of around .460" dia will prove to be the correct choice. Will know more, after I slug the bore.

Guy

Guy Miner":huh3e923 said:
I think the big thing on this is going to be finding the true diameter of the rifle's bore, then selecting a good cast bullet that fits properly.

Am thinking a hollow-base bullet of around .460" dia will prove to be the correct choice. Will know more, after I slug the bore.

Guy

I'd bet Beartooth would cast you .462" or whatever you need Guy.

The only hollow base bullet I can think of is for a colt Patterson revolver though I'm sure if you look around you might find a Lyman bullet mold or even a Redding Bullet mold in the diameter you want. A 200gr unsized .45 cal pure lead bullet should be easy to shove down the barrel just lightly oil the barrel first and start it with a wooden dowel rod and then finish up with a 12ga cleaning rod that's good and stiff. Should be easy to slug the barrel that way. Most .45 cal bullet molds will cast a .460" diameter bullet before sizing.

I used a lead sinker, oiled up with an oak dowel to size my 45-70 and 444.

Very cool Guy, congratulations.
Looking forward to hearing more about the big bore 11.7mm Danish.
Some hard cast bullets might make for some good bear medicine.

JD338

Guy Miner":3tcte957 said:

Guy

EXACTLY !

If I owned that rifle Guy, I would hunt Buffalo with it. I have always wanted to hunt American Buffalo with one of my father's old Sharp's

Best regards

Jamila

Back