Zero Check 500 JRH

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
My boy came home for the 96 on Veterans Day so we decided to do a zero check on his 7x57 and I wanted to check the sights on my pistols.

I have kinda decided to use the 500 JRH this year. I have 440 cast WFN's loaded with 12 grains of Unique in Starline case with CCI 300's.

For the iron's at 50 yards, I'll take that. I did shoot a few cylinders at 100 yards and kept them around the edge of the plate, need more practice with it out there, but man is it a fun pistol.

Brandon tore up the 50 yard target with my 44 and 480 as well.

Nice shooting Scotty. That pistol looks like a handful. Should be awesome on deer. The blood trail is going to be impressive.

JD338

Always good to have the children home. And to spend quality time at the range--priceless. The pistol work is more than adequate. (y)

Time with family at the range is great stuff! Hope that 7x57 is on target and that he gets to use it on deer soon!

I used 440 gr Cast Performance Bullets regularly from my 500 S&W. The penetration is excellent! Pretty good shooting with that hand-cannon of yours Scotty. :)

Regards, Guy

Scotty,
What kind of speed are you getting with that load?

JD338
I get 1050 with the 440's.

Time with family at the range is great stuff! Hope that 7x57 is on target and that he gets to use it on deer soon!

I used 440 gr Cast Performance Bullets regularly from my 500 S&W. The penetration is excellent! Pretty good shooting with that hand-cannon of yours Scotty. :)

Regards, Guy
The 440 Cast Performance and Montana Bullet Works both shoot the same as far as I can tell.

Yes sir, the boy has done well with that old 7x57. He's been using RL17, 150 BT's in Norma cases for years. He just loaded up 50 more them, should last him awhile. Hope he hammers a buck in a few weeks.

That's a mid range load with plenty of horsepower!

JD338

Agree. Probably need 3-4 deer end to end to stop one.
You'll have to bring that hand cannon with you when you make it over this way. Probably similar to my snub nose 629 with full house 300 gr loads. Ha

JD338

I have been looking at JRHs. The brass issue has been keeping me from doing it. Either buy it from Buffalo Bore whihc is pretty ptricey or chop off 500 S&W. Which did you do?

I have been looking at JRHs. The brass issue has been keeping me from doing it. Either buy it from Buffalo Bore whihc is pretty ptricey or chop off 500 S&W. Which did you do?
I got mine from Buffalo Bore. Figured I'll probably not wear it out anytime soon. It's a dandy revolver though! Well worth it to me.

Back