120gn 7mm BT?

captdavid

Beginner
Jan 30, 2005
I see many like the 120gn 7mm BT for deer in the 7-08 and even some in the 7mags. Nosler even makes it their only load for the 7-08. This bullet seems to me to be light for caliber. It's SD is only 216 and I have always prefered one with at least close to 250. I have heard that it is made with a thicker jacket than the 140s. Is this an 'urban legend', or is it true? What are your experiences? capt david

I used my new 7-08 for the first time last fall. I loaded 120 grain ballistic tips and was satisfied with the results. I cleanly took two pronghorn and a whitetail at ranges from 100 to 280 yards. I'm not a great bench rest shot but my groups averaged about an inch or slightly better. I think if your gun shoots them well you'll satisified with their performance also.

The 120gr BT is all that I use in my Rem Mod 7 in 7mmBR. It has taken at least 50 whitetails from 10feet to 264 lasered yards. No problems. And no lost deer.Rick.

I'm shooting a 7mm Mag and I'm partial to the Nosler 140 gr. and 150 gr. BT for knocking down whitetail deer. Some years back I was shooting a 7mm Mauser with 120 gr. bullet and it did a number on deer within 100 yds. I'm sure you will be satisfied with the 120 gr. in your rifle.

Noslers rock!

I personally dont believe how it can be any "tougher" then the 140g because its a lighter bullet..Lighter bullets aren't built tougher, or thicker then heavier ones..THink about it, lighter bullets are constructed lighter, and when they impact as fast as the heavier ones, they break up more, which is why they are left used for varmints and not big game.

It might work well out of 7-08/ velocities and various pistols, but I dont believe its a better choice then the 140g out of 7 Mags and such.

A 120g 7mm bullet is a varmint weight bullet, period. IT all depends on how fast you drive them, and what impact velocity is really..

Then again, if your deer wear flak jackets, you might need more then a 165-180g NBT to get the job done, as I've heard of even them "Blowing up" at 100 yards on deer.... Kinda hard to believe IMO when they dont even start out at 3000fps which is the MAXIMUM advertised impact velocity for the NBT for deer size animals, and by the time they get to 100 yards there only going 2600-2800fps...

My advice is to use the middle-heavier NBT's for deer. The lighter ones may work 9 of 10 times, and give fantastic 1 shot kills, but sooner or later, there NOT gonna get the job done if you accidentally "slip" the bullet into a shoulder. Have fun tracking a 3 legged deer is all I gotta say...

The 7mm 120 gr BT actually uses the 140 gr BT jacket, which is cut back to the proper length for the 120 gr bullet. This gives the 120 gr bullet a thicker heavier jacket and makes it quite a robust offering.

I have tested this bullet, shooting it from my 280AI into water at 100 yds was was very pleased with how it held up.

JD338

I started with the 150BT's out of my -08 for the purpose of Silhoute's. Bullet performs very well and have taken several Cow and Bull Elk with them. I have however switched to the 120's due to their accuracy is a little better out of mine.... .250 and under @ 100 Rem 700BDL Varmiter.
140's & 150's out of my .280 & 7 Mag however.

JD338, I have heard this also about trhe jacket thickness.It is the 'urban legend' that I've talked about. I wish Nosler would chip in and tell us. thanks again, capt david

captdavid":3qc43mvl said:
JD338, I have heard this also about trhe jacket thickness.It is the 'urban legend' that I've talked about. I wish Nosler would chip in and tell us. thanks again, capt david

This is FACT. Nosler uses the 140 gr jacket for 120 gr BT's. The jacket is thicker due to the shorter length.

JD338

It is not an urban legend. I used to use the 150 BT in my 280 but was not happy with how explosive they were.

I was discussing the 120 BT with a fellow that writes for the varmint hunter magazine and he convinced me to give the 120 a try. It shoots great and has performed very well on deer.

Last fall I shot a spike elk at 60 yds, the bullet performed ok. Caught the muscle on the foreleg and then on into the chest, absolutely disintegrated its heart. He went 5 yds in a tight circle and dropped. Not the bullet I would pick for elk but it was in the gun at the time.

If some one can tell me how to post a picture I will put one up of a cross sectioned 120 and 140.

Urban legend no more! The jacket is a 140gr shortened up. The 120BT is a tough little critter gitter. The 7mm-08 with a 120BT is the right medicine for coyotes, goats, deer etc. I would not hesitate on a black bear as well.

These 7mm 120 gr BT's are accurate too! :grin:
Here is a group I shot with my 280AI a while back.
280AI120grBT.jpg

JD338

clearwater":1mm7pn4g said:
Wonder if other calibers are like this? Say the 125 grain 30 cal?

No, the 30 cal 125 gr has its own jacket. Only the 7mm 120 uses the heavier jacket.

JD338

Back