Bullet Performance - some recent words from John Barsness

I'm here to tell you that - for the exorbitant cost - I reckon X Bullets are way overrated.

Heavy for calibre-ish Hot Cors and Interlocks are the everyman's best friend. Nosler BTs of the heavy variety are great too. But regrettably in my backyard they are quite expensive.

Accubonds - though not cheap - are without peer on pigs and deer IME. My goodness they shoot accurately too. Not cheap but one of the Premiums that are worth it.

I've not shot a lot of game with X Bullets and for the money I never will. They've not impressed me as being even as effective as a NBT let alone better.

Partitions; they're expensive. But in my view a much better game bullet than the X. For the money I'd go the PT every time and for that matter I'd pick a heavy Hot Cor over an X.

Sorry if my views place me athwart others. I mean no offense.

All the premiums run around a buck a piece so cost washes out.

There is nothing wrong with any of those bullets you mentioned but I think your selling the Barnes TSX and TTSX short. A lot of guys coming from the conventional bullet cup/core mentality make the mistake of using a mono bullet that is too heavy for their use. You really need to keep muzzle velocities over 3000fps, faster the better, and bullet weights 25-30% lighter than a cup/core bullet, i.e. A 110 vs a 130 in 277, or a 130 vs 165 or 165-8 vs a 180-200gr in 308. One you do that the mono metal bullets will amaze you. You simply can't get the penetration with a cup/core bullet you will get with the TTSX.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've never felt that complete pass throughs were a deal breaker; probably part of my view on the X.

OTH I've always valued a wide wound channel, with enough Bullet weight to reach the far shoulder of the beast being hunted.

X Bullets and NPTs are really expensive here. Accubonds, Interbonds not so bad. I think it's a volume sales issue.

Also a big fan of Barsness. Smart guy and seems a nice one too.

Yep, Mr Barsness is an excellent writer...he just never met a 35 Whelen Ackley Improved he ever liked! lol :)

The bullet is the cheapest part of the whole hunting trip so why not use the best? If anything, confidence is a major factor in making a shot.

Back