Bullet Performance - some recent words from John Barsness

Guy Miner

Master Loader
Apr 6, 2006
I've been following a thread over on 24 Hour Campfire, in which various cartridges & bullets for brown bear are being discussed. John gave me permission to quote a post he made over there. I thought it might be of some interest here. I like the way John writes, and respect his opinion:

"I also have a large collection of recovered bullets, all from animals that died. Since these discussions always seem to come down to Barnes X against every other bullet, here are some statistics from my collection:

Many people state that Nosler Partitions retain around 60% or 65% or 2/3 of their weight. In my collection, 20% retained 60% or less, and those averaged 57.8%. All of those bullets were relatively light for caliber, ranging from 100 to 150 grains in calibers from .25 to 7mm.

There's a reason for this: Nosler designs the lighter, smaller-caliber Partitions to retain less weight, figuring they'll mostly be used on "deer-sized" game. John Nosler always believed (based on considerable experience) that deer die quicker with more bullet fragmentation.

But I should probably also note that the lightest retained percentage of a recovered Partition in my collection is a 150-grain .270, shot into a medium-sized Shiras bull moose. The bullet entered the left rear of the rib-cage and ended up in the right shoulder, retaining 53.7% of its weight. Yet the bull took a step-and-a-half before folding up dead.

The Partitions over .30 caliber have the Partition moved forward to retain more weight, because the folks at Nosler figure they'll be used on bigger animals. I've recovered some in calibers from .338 to .416 from animals like bull moose, musk ox, bison and Cape buffalo, and they average 86.3% weight retention.

Have also shot some Barnes X's into animals here and there, and recovered some, though not as many as Partitions, mostly because I've been shooting Partitions since the mid-1970's and Barnes X's--from the original to the blue-coated XLC to TSX's--since the mid-1990's. (Actually did shoot a few at targets before then, but never could get them to shoot well enough to want to take them afield.) The recovered X's average 90.6% in weigh retention.

Have recovered a higher percentage of X's than Partitions, but only because I've tended to use lighter X's for various sizes of game than Partitions.

Have done considerable experimentation with bullet penetration in consistent media of various sorts, and eventually came to the conclusion that depth of penetration is more tied to frontal area of the mushroom than percentage of weight retention. This is due to testing the same weight and diameter of various bullets at the same velocity: In every instance some bullets that retained less weight penetrated just as deeply as bullets that retained more--and the difference was in the measured diameter of the mushroom.

Whether or not all of this makes any difference in "killing power" is debatable. I've only noticed that expanding bullets placed in the vitals kill stuff pretty quickly--but do know that extrapolating the penetration of some bullets of a certain make to ALL bullets of a certain make is a mistake. Some Partitions simply penetrate better than others, even if not one of the over-.30's with the Partition moved forward. I'd put the 160/175 7mm and 200 .30 in this class, but have also seen consistently deeper penetration from the 250 .338 and 286 9.3 than some other over-.30 bullets.

I'd have to say the same about Barnes X's. The 100-grain .25 TTSX hasn't penetrated any deeper than the 100-grain .25 Partition on the game my wife and I have shot with both--though both penetrate plenty, especially for the size of game they're usually used on.

Can't say that my hunting notes reveal any pattern in how far game has gone after a good hit in the vitals that exited or didn't exit. Have seen plenty drop very quickly, like that moose my wife killed with a lousy .270, from lung shots that didn't hit any major bone. Have also seen the same thing with bullets that did exit, whatever the make of the bullet, but can't find any statistical pattern.

Thoughts? Guy

BTW - he's kidding when he calls the .270 "lousy" guys... Simmer down .270 fans... :mrgreen:

When guys like John Barsness and Phil Shoemaker speak people should listen. What I appreciate about them is that they tend to be open minded and don't get hung up on certain bullets or calibers. Being objective is becoming rare these days.

He is correct.....frontal area greatly affects penetration. The more surface area the more drag and the less it penetrates. Weight plays a factor because of momentum but frontal area is the largest factory in how deeply a bullet penetrates.

I learned something new today today. I was unaware about the weight on the larger diameter bullets being farther forward. I also like reading John's articles, he has an extensive background in the field.
I do have one comment, I have used the 30 cal 180 Partition extensively and the few that I recovered do have excellent weight retention and expansion. The Barnes bullets that have have used (much smaller sample and 160 gr.) also have excellent retention but have lacked the expansion shown by the Partition. As I said these represent a much smaller sample and are lighter to start with. The 160's were traveling at similar speeds and similar distances, and were taken from elk. Just the ramblings of an old man.

Is the .270 the cartridge that was created by putting a much smaller bullet in an 06 case? I always wondered how that worked out?

Elkman":3owg5scj said:
I learned something new today today. I was unaware about the weight on the larger diameter bullets being farther forward.

It's the Partition that is farther forward, not the weight.

Guy

I think Barsness is probably the best in the business...at least he was when I basically quit subscribing to and reading gun rags seven or eight years ago. I like his methodical approach to evaluating things.

Hard to argue with any of that. I never really understood the significance of retained weight percentage... if you've recovered it it likely penetrated enough. (y)

Thank you guy, that didn't come out at all like I planned. I did learn something however.

I like reading Barsness.
It's clear he knows of what he scribes.

Vince

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup, I enjoy reading his stuff quite alot.

So again, the bottom line, a PT is usually not a bad choice? :lol:

Knocked off a littl' ol' moose with a .270 huh! Who could of figured such a miracle? :lol: But realistically, who can argue with a reasonable round stoked with partitions.

Sounds exactly right to me , well placed shot with a .270 and 150gr bullets is lites out on any moose not just a medium Shiras, we have seen plenty of big Bulls flattened with the little .270, There are way tooo many folks charging around with big Magnum guns that feel that all the horsepower is going to make up for lousy shooting and give them a huge advantage to take super loooooong shots. Nothing is further from the truth.
The same crowd is convinced that you cant even shoot a skunk without premium bonded bullets that are at least $60/90 per box, as it sounds cool around the gun club. However when a fellow conducted a 13 year study of projectiles fired from .358 caliber rifles in the Yukon , where dozens of guides sent him recovered bullets there were lots of em that did pretty good, however when the smoke ALL cleared the one bullet that was right there with the premiums for retained weight and not sliping its jacket, out of many dozens recovered was a lowly old el cheapo Speer 250gr , $25 a box bullet , that even though not deemed cool by todays standards of fancy boxes with gold leaf printing , or luminous tips..................... still cut the mustard with the very BEST of them..................... for a charging Brown Bear I like bonded premium bullets, but I sure as heck don't need them to shoot deer, goat, antelope, sheep, or most anything else that wont eat me!
IMG_20160414_192906.jpg
IMG_20160414_192726586.jpg
Here is a nice thousand pounder with a 59" rack one of my hunters took with us from the lodge a few years ago, ONE shot from a .270 150gr Corelokt from the Walmart, bang flop................ :grin:

35 Whelen":12hrl452 said:
Sounds exactly right to me , well placed shot with a .270 and 150gr bullets is lites out on any moose not just a medium Shiras, we have seen plenty of big Bulls flattened with the little .270, There are way tooo many folks charging around with big Magnum guns that feel that all the horsepower is going to make up for lousy shooting and give them a huge advantage to take super loooooong shots. Nothing is further from the truth.
The same crowd is convinced that you cant even shoot a skunk without premium bonded bullets that are at least $60/90 per box, as it sounds cool around the gun club. However when a fellow conducted a 13 year study of projectiles fired from .358 caliber rifles in the Yukon , where dozens of guides sent him recovered bullets there were lots of em that did pretty good, however when the smoke ALL cleared the one bullet that was right there with the premiums for retained weight and not sliping its jacket, out of many dozens recovered was a lowly old el cheapo Speer 250gr , $25 a box bullet , that even though not deemed cool by todays standards of fancy boxes with gold leaf printing , or luminous tips..................... still cut the mustard with the very BEST of them..................... for a charging Brown Bear I like bonded premium bullets, but I sure as heck don't need them to shoot deer, goat, antelope, sheep, or most anything else that wont eat me!
View attachment 1

Here is a nice thousand pounder with a 59" rack one of my hunters took with us from the lodge a few years ago, ONE shot from a .270 150gr Corelokt from the Walmart, bang flop................ :grin:

Likely photoshopped, Earle. As Gerry said, everyone knows a 150 Cor-Lokt won't kill a moose.

Interesting read. Thanks JB and Guy for posting.

JD338

Back