125 gr BT in a 30-06?

BretN

Handloader
Jan 22, 2015
Anyone regularly running full speed 125 gr BT's in an '06? I've been shooting them all summer in my 308's and have no worries about how they'd perform on deer at those speeds. But I'm thinking of trying them in my '06.

They would likely see use next year on a pronghorn hunt. Maybe use them for deer. Just wondering how well they hold up at 3200-3400 fps. Also, hoping these might stave off the thoughts I have about getting a 25-06. The ballistics on the 125 gr 308 look good out to 400 yards, which is farther than I feel comfortable shooting deer anyway. Thanks for your input. Bret

I loaded some for a friends '06 back in '89. I used the top load in the Nosler manual with IMR 4831 and a BR2 primer. he shot a nice muley up in the Yakima WA area. But he mainly shot coyotes with them. I drove up one summer and we shot rockchucks with them! It opened them up like a cheap $4 suitcase! ha. These newer ones are even better. In fact I have shot them in several '06s, but I never hunted with them. If I still lived in Texas I would use them for sure. Good luck to you Pard.

I used them out of an '06 abut 5 years ago and shot a medium sized whitetail buck behind the shoulder at 105 yards. Complete pass through and he left a blood trail that looked like a paint roller. He jumped a 5 strand barbed wire fence and coated it when his front feet hit the ground. He dropped about 10 yards on the other side of the fence after a 60ish yard run. Heart, lungs, etc were mush. It kinda surprised me since he wasn't pumped up on adrenaline when I shot him and after seeing the organ damage I would have thought he'd been unable to run that far, but it just shows how tough animals can be.

Several years prior to that, I loaded some in my 308 and loaned it to a friend who shot a button buck at about 90 yds. Same basic reaction and result although he ran about half as far.

Having said all that, however, in my experience using my 25-06 with 100 gr BT's, it is much more decisive on deer and I have had to do little to no tracking. Generally, they fall over and that's that. Bang, flop, dress, and drag.

I like to experiment and use different calibers just to see how they work for me and, thus far, I've had no horrible failures. But, for the deer I've shot, I haven't found any combination that works better than the 25-06/BT.

Ron

RJ- those deer in MO are pretty big deer too, aren't they? No flies on these new "Hunting" Ballistic Tips!

I suppose I could've just looked closer at the box. Nosler claims a 3200 fps max, which is about where I expect the Varget loads I just made to end up.

Always good to hear how they do in the field too. Thanks for the responses. I find I sure like shooting these lighter bullets, especially after some neck issues I had over last winter.

Attachments

• IMG_20150912_154955870.jpg
    IMG_20150912_154955870.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,183
rjm158":38s00biq said:
I used them out of an '06 abut 5 years ago and shot a medium sized whitetail buck behind the shoulder at 105 yards. Complete pass through and he left a blood trail that looked like a paint roller. He jumped a 5 strand barbed wire fence and coated it when his front feet hit the ground. He dropped about 10 yards on the other side of the fence after a 60ish yard run. Heart, lungs, etc were mush. It kinda surprised me since he wasn't pumped up on adrenaline when I shot him and after seeing the organ damage I would have thought he'd been unable to run that far, but it just shows how tough animals can be.

Several years prior to that, I loaded some in my 308 and loaned it to a friend who shot a button buck at about 90 yds. Same basic reaction and result although he ran about half as far.

Having said all that, however, in my experience using my 25-06 with 100 gr BT's, it is much more decisive on deer and I have had to do little to no tracking. Generally, they fall over and that's that. Bang, flop, dress, and drag.

I like to experiment and use different calibers just to see how they work for me and, thus far, I've had no horrible failures. But, for the deer I've shot, I haven't found any combination that works better than the 25-06/BT.

Ron

Ron how did the 100 grain BTs hold up?

Scotty, I've never recovered one. Every deer I've shot with one has been a through and through, regardless of shot placement. I try for the shot behind the shoulder but one big buck was hit squarely through the heaviest part of the shoulder at a lasered 100 yds and exited as well. Field dressing shows they have expanded well and obliterated organs, just as designed.

Ron

Might have to give them a whirl. I've heard a lot of great things about the 100 BT in the 25-06. I'd really like to give them a whirl.

Thanks for the heads up.

interesting on the 100 .25 cal. passing thru. many of my .270 / 130 tips @ 3,180 FPS come apart on the far side.

Ihsako, I used 130 BT's in my 270 WSM to kill my buck last season at about 125 yds. Despite hitting lower than intended, and hitting lots of bone including the sternum, the only piece of the bullet I found when field dressing was the polymer tip. There was a very clear and definable wound track, in and out.

Ron

You guys need to stop saying how great the 25-06 is. I'm trying to develop this load to avoid buying another gun. I need to hold out for a year at least, but I really like the look and feel of the Weatherby vanguard s2 in 25-06.

Bret, I was at Cabelas last Friday and looked at some of their exclusive Vanguards with the Zonz camo. If they'd had it in 25-06, I would probably own one by now but they don't offer it.

A friend of mine has a standard Vanguard 25-06 and swears by it.

Ron

Cabela's has an exclusive Vanguard S2 in an olive drab with grip panels in 25-06 that I like. Gotta have it in a 24" barrel. Also, I've read good things about the upgrades that were made on the S2

A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away.... I did some depredation work with an '06 and Winchester 125r Silvertips (the old Silvertips, not the rebranded NBT). I figured they were cooking along at 3200+

I shot a long string of deer back then and I was truly impressed. Behind the shoulder lung shots killed like Thor's Hammer and I never got an exit. Basically turned the vitals to goo and soup. Bear in mind, I'm not sure a shot on the shoulder would make it through and certainly not the right thing for big bodied deer.

The modern Ballistic Tip is certainly better than those in every regard.

BretN":20ktw05c said:
You guys need to stop saying how great the 25-06 is. I'm trying to develop this load to avoid buying another gun. I need to hold out for a year at least, but I really like the look and feel of the Weatherby vanguard s2 in 25-06.

The only thing better than a 25-06 in a vanguard is a .257 WBY. Just more of a good thing (y)
If you want to avoid buying another gun you may want to seek help in a different forum bud :wink:

Yeah, if you have a weakness for picking up new rifles (and I do), this forum is kinda like holding AA meetings in a bar. But I like it here anyway. Keep talking up the 25-06. It's a cartrigde I hadn't considered much till recently.

But four new guns in one year is enough for me. However, I traded one gun off and got two in return, so those don't really count right?...

BretN":uzh35roh said:
But four new guns in one year is enough for me. However, I traded one gun off and got two in return, so those don't really count right?...

Congratulations! You're learning the ropes pretty quickly! There are always a number of people around here willing to spend your money for you. :mrgreen: Consequently, I imagine there are quite a few cartridges you haven't considered; and there is an advocate here that can help you to consider those neglected wall flowers.

DrMike":3g2h1ulw said:
BretN":3g2h1ulw said:

Congratulations! You're learning the ropes pretty quickly! There are always a number of people around here willing to spend your money for you. :mrgreen: Consequently, I imagine there are quite a few cartridges you haven't considered; and there is an advocate here that can help you to consider those neglected wall flowers.

Yeah keep an eye out for Jake, he is pretty dangerous... If he smells want he will be all over you! :lol:

Boy, I'll second that. That Jake is dangerous to the wallet. Many a fine sportsman has fallen prey to his subtle suggestions.

Back