129gr ABLR

shoots_5

Handloader
May 15, 2009
Got 2 boxes of factory 1st's and have 3 boxes of 2nd's coming from SPS. Spent a little time today getting some test loads worked up. Loading for a 260 Rem, and using LE Wilson dies. Had some interesting things happen....not sure if you remember but recently I had to step down from a .288 bushing to a .287 bushing as I had loaded up some Berger 140 hybrids and they were finger loose in the case. So I used the .287 bushing today and sized some cases. Went to seat the first ABLR and had to pull on the arbor press pretty hard. Seated the bullet and pulled the loaded round out and the seating stem had put a wrinkle in the bullet where it was pushing against! Thought maybe it was a fluke so I ran one more through with the same result. Went back up to the .288 bushing and they loaded up just fine. Wouldn't think that .001" of neck tension would make that big of a difference....

The first load I went with 45 grains of H4350 and loaded up 5 seated at 2.238" BTO and then loaded 5 at 2.188" BTO (which is max SAAMI length). The longer length is the same BTO setting I have had good success with shooting the Bergers and is just off the lands.

Next up I loaded 48 grains of H4831SC and used the 2.188" BTO seating depth. This is a compressed load. Just the added pressure of compressing the bullet against the powder caused the seating stem to put another pretty good ring in the bullet.

My theory is that the nose of the ABLR is VERY soft to accomodate it expanding at a minimum velocity of 1300fps. Glad that it will open up at slow speeds but it's proving to be somewhat of a pain the ass to load without damaging the bullet! Would it be safe to shoot the wrinkled bullets as foulers or would you pull them and toss them?

Unfortunately I don't think I'll be getting out anytime soon to shoot them....Have what the Dr's think is a disk problem in my neck causing both my hands to go numb and now causing muscle spasms and shooting pains. Waiting on an MRI to confirm exactly what's going on but I'll likely not be sitting behind a rifle for awhile..... :x

Attachments

• WIN_20150503_172222.JPG
    WIN_20150503_172222.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 498
  • WIN_20150503_172243.JPG
    WIN_20150503_172243.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 498
Shoots 5,
I'll forego commenting on the bullet, loading issue, as I don't have enough experience to venture an opinion but I will pray for you regarding your disk issue.

Vince

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Safe to shoot, yes.

You can't have your cake and eat it too.... The jackets are thin for a reason.

Looks like a seating plug issue...

Oh, I get the jacket thickness and it's purpose....it just surprised me that 3 thousandth's of neck tension vs 2 thousandth's was the difference between a significant ring in the jacket vs not a mark! Don't think it's anything to do with the seating plug as far as any issues with it. I think it's just a matter of the jacket being really fragile near the tip of the bullet.

Are you using a VLD seater? If so, trying the standard seater may help.

Scott

I'm seeing that exact same mark on my 270 WSM 150 ABLR. The ones that seem to seat easier, don't have that ring. I'm running Hornady dies. I might have to see if I can find a VLD seating stem for them. They go bang, but I'm not thinking that I would hunt or load test with them.

jmad_81":23oi0er4 said:
I'm seeing that exact same mark on my 270 WSM 150 ABLR. The ones that seem to seat easier, don't have that ring. I'm running Hornady dies. I might have to see if I can find a VLD seating stem for them. They go bang, but I'm not thinking that I would hunt or load test with them.

Jake,
Just call Hornady: They make them for their dies. I'm loading ABLRs in my Creedmoor and 280AI using Hornady dies. The Creedmoor dies came with both seaters. I called Hornady for a VLD type .284 seater and had it in hand 5 days later.

Scott

P.S.
Never mind; I just checked for you and they don't make one in that caliber. :?

jmad_81":s6chiteq said:

Yup, when I decreased the neck tension there was no ring what so ever on the bullet. But with 3 thousandth's neck tension or with a compressed load it left a mark. Not sure if a VLD seater would solve the problem or not....I suppose it would move the point that it is contacting the bullet farther away from the tip so maybe the jacket thickness would be sufficient down there? Might be worth a try.

It has to do with the angle the seating stem is cut to. The angle in yours is steep to cover normal bullets so one edge is contacting the bullets and making the marks. Think of it like shoving something tapered into a square hole (non-tapered not actually square), the front edge touches but nothing else.

FYI, there is a pretty good stock of 2nd's available right now at SPS! I'm assuming when we start to see 2nd's showing up they must be making a production run at the factory......hopefully they'll start cracking out some of the 6.5 142 ABLR's soon!

Meant to throw this in the other day...just now remembered it.

You said this happened when you changed the neck tension...how many times has this brass been fired and if it has been fired a few times has it been annealed?

Just wondering if work hardening of the neck is part of the issue...

Back