140 Accubond Black Bear

hunter24605

Handloader
Apr 30, 2016
Gearing up for a late season black bear hunt. I'll be using my 280 Rem. I already have a great load with 140 accubonds, but I'm thinking of going to 150 partitions for black bear..But then I think, "these are Southern black bears where they rarely exceed 300 lbs and after seeing how hard and fast the 140 accubonds slammed down 3 deer this year, do I really need to go to a 150 grain Partition"? It's getting pretty close and don't have a lot of time to work up a load for the 150 gr Partition, so am I really just splitting hairs here and the 140 accubonds will be more than sufficient for these bears? I keep going back and forth and need to make a decision now. I tend to over think everything..
Thanks for any input.

My buddy used his .280 Rem with the 140 AB on a huge black bear a few years ago. It did a number on that bear and he was impressed. I know one kill isn't a track record but I think the bullet is up to the task.

The 140 gr AB is more than enough bullet for a 300 lb black bear.
You could load up the same load using a 140 gr PT if you wanted more penetration.
POI should be fairly close to the 140 gr AB.

JD338

The 280 has to be one of my favourite cartridges. It is difficult to imagine myself without a rifle chambered thusly. Candidly, I like the 140 grain PT, but with black bear, the BT will work just as well. Nothing wrong with the 140 grain AB, however. I just haven't had to move away from the PT to this point. Great cartridge, and the 140 grain bullets are excellent in this cartridge.

You will be good to go, it will perform very well. If you double lung your bear he won't go far, the fellow I guided for who was in on numerous black bears and grizzlies told me he liked that shot. It turns out he had to chase a bunch of bears shot in the shoulders that missed the lungs by being to far forward. The 140 gr AB will do the job quite nicely........

The 140 AB in the 280 will work just fine on black bears. Go forth with confidences! Have a great hunt.

Yup, 140 AB and go hunting. That bullet will get it done. Good luck on the hunt.

Thanks guys! Just what I wanted to hear..I need to be able to stop the bear quickly because where I'll be hunting is a small opening surrounded by some nasty green brier thickets and one very steep hollow that, if it runs into that, it'l be an all day adventure getting it back out of there. I didn't know there was a 7mm 140 grain Partition.

280 Remington and 140 gr. AccuBond are the cats meow!! Heck ya you will be fine! Jack O'Connor just didn't know what he was missing. I'll probably catch grief for that one!

We have shot them in this household over the years with the 6.5x55, 260 Rem, 264 WM and 270 Win, and a couple of friends use a 280 Rem. To date none have jumped out of the freezer :mrgreen:

6mm Remington":1qslxy9b said:
280 Remington and 140 gr. AccuBond are the cats meow!! Heck ya you will be fine! Jack O'Connor just didn't know what he was missing. I'll probably catch grief for that one!

Not from me, you won't, David. The 270 is a fine cartridge. The 280 is an excellent cartridge.

gerry":2mdi35kv said:
We have shot them in this household over the years with the 6.5x55, 260 Rem, 264 WM and 270 Win, and a couple of friends use a 280 Rem. To date none have jumped out of the freezer :mrgreen:

There is always a first time for everything, Gerry! Keep a close watch on that freezer. :lol:

Easy on that 270 talk! :lol:

I really liked the 140 AccuBond from my 270 WSM. It seemed very capable for elk and Mule deer in my book.

SJB358":l9g0yzt6 said:

I really liked the 140 AccuBond from my 270 WSM. It seemed very capable for elk and Mike deer in my book.

Curious as to what a "Mike deer" might be! :? Could be getting close to home for me. :shock: Hey, you haven't been in my freezer, have you? :mrgreen:

DrMike":2eb5oidb said:
SJB358":2eb5oidb said:

I really liked the 140 AccuBond from my 270 WSM. It seemed very capable for elk and Mike deer in my book.

Curious as to what a "Mike deer" might be! :? Could be getting close to home for me. :shock: Hey, you haven't been in my freezer, have you? :mrgreen:

Oooooops... meant mule deer buddy :lol:

Your still safe!

And the old guy breathes a sign of relief as he slinks to the freezer to look for those few remaining packages of mule deer.

Ha!!

I hear you there buddy.

Speaking of all these bullets and cartridges I believe I need one of those Traagers soon to really finish these animals off properly! :lol:

SJB358":bj2onjtr said:
Ha!!

I hear you there buddy.

Speaking of all these bullets and cartridges I believe I need one of those Traagers soon to really finish these animals off properly! :lol:

Just did some steaks on mine last week. Getting primed to do some birds shortly. Then, there is always the turkey for Christmas when all the grandchildren come over to help their Pa. Mind you, grilling in -30 to -40 weather does get interesting. It can be done; but it is interesting. I do love my Traeger.

Back