140 Gr Acubonds in a 270 Win for elk

Rol_P

Handloader
Nov 23, 2013
I am contemplating a load with Nosler 140Gr Accubonds I my .270 Win as a backup to my 30-06 with 180 Accubonds for my elk hunt this yr. Anyone have experience with this load on elk at reasonable ranges, ie. 300 yds or less? The 180s I the '06 proved very satisfactory last year. Just planning for contingencies.. Thanks in advance. Rol

I should imagine that would be an excellent bullet/cartridge combination for elk. I have no hesitation in using a 140 grain AccuBond in my 280 Remington. I mean, what's 0.007 inches between friends. :grin: I have the used the 130 grain E-Tip in my 270 WSM to take several elk and moose. The bullet has performed superbly, and I'm not pushing it hard, so the velocity is not much more than I would get out of a 270 Win.

I agree completely with Mike. The 140 gr. AccuBond will work very nicely for you and you should have complete confidence in it. I load for a buddy with a .270 and 130 gr. Partitions and he's taken several elk with it, no problems at all.

That load has plenty of thump for elk at those ranges. Well, except for the armored ones you read about on the Internet.

I took my largest, to date, bull elk with a 140 AB out of my 270WSM. They work.

There should be no problem using your 270win and the 140gr. ABs. I shot my largest bull to date with my 270win and I was using 130gr. ABs. my shot was right around the 300 yard mark.
Loaded them up and go get em :wink:!!
Remember have Fun, Shoot Straight and most of all be Safe!!

Blessings,
Dan

Ok... I'll be the bad guy here! First of all, in my opinion, none of the others who offered advice are wrong. There is more than enough evidence from them that it will work. Plenty of guys have killed their biggest bulls with a 270. I get it. But, I think a 140 gr bullet from a 270 is a little on the light side. Elk are big, tough animals and they can take a beating. I certainly don't mean to imply that a bullet from a 270 will bounce off of an elk, but it won't penetrate as deep or break as much bone as a bigger bullet will. I have killed a few elk with a 270 and 150 gr bullets and yes, they all died. I personally like a little more horse power. My elk rifle line up consists of a 300 Weatherby with 200 gr ABs and a 338 Win with 225 gr ABs. Of course shot placement is the key with any caliber, but there is a little more room for error with something a little bigger. I think you're better off with the 30-06, but if you have to use the 270 as a back up, just make sure it shoots straight. You mentioned reasonable range (300 yards or less). I think that's good. Just my thoughts... I'll duck for cover now. Ha!
BP

Thanks for all the responses fellas. My Rem 700CDL 30-06 which was grouping +/- 2" @ 100 has been worked over by a gunsmith. I had accuracy verified by a good shooter with both my handloads and factory ammo. to remove my ability from the results.

I get to pick it up Saturday and test results with 180ABs. Hopefully it will shoot 1" or better and the .270 will just be insurance..

Bud that -06 with 180gr. ABs is more than capable to do the job on a mature Bull.
I can not wait for the story of success & the photos :)!

Blessings,
Dan

BP736":307gn1vb said:
Ok... I'll be the bad guy here! First of all, in my opinion, none of the others who offered advice are wrong. There is more than enough evidence from them that it will work. Plenty of guys have killed their biggest bulls with a 270. I get it. But, I think a 140 gr bullet from a 270 is a little on the light side. Elk are big, tough animals and they can take a beating. I certainly don't mean to imply that a bullet from a 270 will bounce off of an elk, but it won't penetrate as deep or break as much bone as a bigger bullet will. I have killed a few elk with a 270 and 150 gr bullets and yes, they all died. I personally like a little more horse power. My elk rifle line up consists of a 300 Weatherby with 200 gr ABs and a 338 Win with 225 gr ABs. Of course shot placement is the key with any caliber, but there is a little more room for error with something a little bigger. I think you're better off with the 30-06, but if you have to use the 270 as a back up, just make sure it shoots straight. You mentioned reasonable range (300 yards or less). I think that's good. Just my thoughts... I'll duck for cover now. Ha!
BP
No need to duck for cover. No matter what I,m using I want it to shoot straight. Many .270 users shoot that caliber well. The light recoil helps a lot I suppose. Many hunters would say the best elk rifle is the one you shoot the best with. Assuming the cartridge is at least adequate of course. The magnums are better elk cartridges. You still need to shoot them well.

I have never been a fan of the .270 Win for elk hunting but the 140 Partition should work if you pick your shots and wait for the right angle on lung shots. I have killed one elk with a 180 .30-06 but prefer and have used .300 or .338 Win Mags for other elk.

Since it is a backup rifle, I say go for it. I've seen big mule deer dropped with a .223. On having to wait for a good shot, shouldn't we already be doing that? I wouldn't have any problem using a 140 grain AccuBond on a bull elk at 300 yds and in. I do think that a .270 lacks the horsepower for long range shots on elk.

Back