150 ABLR vs 165 ABLR

jeepinhntr

Beginner
Nov 3, 2019
Hey guys I'm currently building a 27 nosler for hunting deer Elk and antelope sized game. I have a question I've been pondering on and thought I'd ask. Im looking at loading one load for all game and Ballistically the 150 ABLR at 3300ish fps and the 165 ABLR at 3100ish fps are just about the same in drop wind drift and energy @500 yards. My question is about the ability of the 2 bullets to expand compared to each other, would the 150 be better being slightly shorter and faster expand better or worse than the 165 being longer and slightly slower. The ft-lbs of energy difference in negligible. More just worried about ability with each bullet at any given target and velocity down range. I may just be over thinking it but was thinking the 150 would expand better being a shorter bullet to expand and penatrate vs the longer bullet? I currently will be loading both and probably use what's more accurate. Just a thought I had, any info or discussions are much appreciated thanks.

Both will work but I would lean more on the 165 ABLR for longer distances, it has a little more mass. The 27 Nosler has plenty of speed to make those 165's expand nicely.

Both will work but I would lean more on the 165 ABLR for longer distances, it has a little more mass. The 27 Nosler has plenty of speed to make those 165's expand nicely.
Agreee, I’d look the speed at impact and as long as they’re about 2k I doubt you’ll be able to see much difference. I’d much rather have the heavier bullet touching down at under 100 yards than the faster 150 myself.

For the most part, I've always thought that if planning to use one load for all game, then go for the heavier bullet On example, in my .300 Win. Mags I've settled on two bullets depending one the game hunted. Either the 200 Gr. Speer Hot Core or the 200 gr. Nosler Partition. It's worked extremely well for me.
Paul B.

Sometimes the ABLR can be tricky to load for, IME anyway. I'd try both weights and see which your rifle may prefer. Personally, I've had much better luck with regular Accubonds and have used them on everything up to bull moose. But it's certainly worth testing loads with either of the ABLR bullets and see how they perform

Back