150 gr partition vs 160 gr partition- question for NOSLER

harbinger

Beginner
Aug 18, 2005
So, I have been using 150 gr Partition for a few years and am considering switching to a 160 gr Partition because we are heading out for big bull moose. Now I know that the 150 gr will do the job nicely but how much more "smack" as in energy am I going to get out of a bullet that weighs only 10 gr more? Should I even bother? This is in .270 win and the load I use is 52.5 gr of IMR4350 w/ 150 gr bullet. please reply ASAP cause we leave in one month and I have to get my loads all figured out.

I live in "moose country" here in northern Maine. A moose is really not that hard an animal to bring down. Lot's of them are shot each year with 30-30's. In my opinion, if you have been shooting 150 Part's for a while and you know what your gun will do with them, I'd stick with them. The 150 is more than a match for a bull moose when thrown at him from a 270. (That's my gun of choice for big game hunting,too. :wink: ). Shot placement is key, and a moose doesn't move very fast unless you kicked him in the rear as you were walking through the woods. An extra 10 grains is not worth the hassle, IMHO.

Blaine

I would also stick with your 150 Partition in the 270 Winchester. I checked the charts and your kinetic energy are very close to the same. According to our tests you'll get about the same penetration so pick your shots and stick with your 150 Partition.

Back