150AB vrs 130TSX WHY (300WSM)

6ptkiller

Beginner
Dec 7, 2009
I've been reloading the 150gr AB for my 300wsm & got it sighted in 2'' high at 100yd & killed a lot of deer with it. So I tried the 130TSX I load 3 at around 3400fps .030 off the lands & shot them at 100yds. 2 in the same hole & 1 1/2'' right. It his dead on at 100yds!

My question is does this bullet shoot that flat & have you guys used them.

The TSX and TTSX bullets can shoot very accurately. If you are getting that sort of accuracy at 0.030 inch off the lands, you may find even better accuracy backing up, even to 0.100 inch off the lands. The 130 grain TSX is a good bullet. I tend to prefer heavier bullets in my 300 WSM. What sort of groups did you get with the 150 grain AB?

6ptkiller,

There is nothing wrong with those groups. That is minute-of-deer anywhere I have ever hunted.

The 300 WSM is capable of some excellent accuracy with a wide variety of powders and bullets.

I don't think you'll have much to worry about with the new plastic tipped monumetal bullets. If you pull the plastic tip the hollow point is HUGE.
With the older barnes I paid attention to the size of the hollow point and sorted them for practice and hunting. The ones with smaller (and they are noticeable) hps' went for checking site in. Never had one with the bigger hp's fail to open. Neither has my friend in Alaska that's shot alot of carribou and moose over the years.
The new nosler lead frees should be the same way. AND I like a bullet that holds almost all it's weight for bigger animals.

POP":33yvwx5t said:
My only concern with Barnes X products, is and has always been, expansion. When they expand they rock, when they do not............. well you judge.................

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthread ... ost3559817

I saw one occassion where the original did not open well, but the TSX has been very effective for me.

I believe as kraky said the tipped version should eliminate even further the
chance of a bullet failing to expand.

Back