150gr. .308 Nosler AB question?

catman

Beginner
Jan 22, 2005
Nosler

I have a Winchester .308 Compact I bought from a range friend 3 weeks ago I want to use for hunting (Like I need another .308).

I picked up some of the Nosler AB's in 150gr.

Question is the OAL of the cartridge with the AB's still 2.810 as my Nosler book says?

I did smoke them to check, sorry I'm old school, and seated them at OAL 2.830, this apears to be .20 of the lands for my .308 rifle and they still work in the mag box.

I'm doing some ladder testing starting at 42gr. of RL-15 and going up .5 on each up to 44gr. to see how things work. I haven't went to the range as of yet with these loads, question? Do I need to seat these at 2.810 as the book says or go with what my rifle tells me as far as the OAL?

I have a Remington VSF .308 that loves Seirra 168gr HPBT Match with 41.5gr. of RL-15 at Seirra's published OAL.

I just hate to waste good (High Dollar Nosler AB's) for 50 of them (Hell I waste enough stuff)

MLC

If the mag box accepts them and they are off the lands go to the range and try them. Never a waste to shoot, good practice. Only the range will tell you if they will shoot as you want.Rick.

Belieive me, I get, and have lots of range time behind a scope at long range. Just trying to get some "Q" answered.
Have looked at the Nolser AB sence they came out, decited to pick up some from all of the positive responce, all seems to say they fly great like a Match bullet and do what a hunting bullet should do perfectly.
Waiting on the new 165gr .308 to hit the shelves in my neck of the woods....

I just measured some AB's and BT's for my 7MM-08 (150 gr BT & 160 gr AB) The only thing different between the two dimensionally was the length of the shaft. I used a Stoney Point Comparator to establish OAL (base of case to bullet ogive, or at least to the Stoney Point bushing ) and the OAL was exactly the same for both bullets, even though they are different weight. I think for OAL purposes, you can use all the same data for the AB as you use for the BT of the same weight/caliber.....same load data, too.

Blaine

Thanks, if the wind will quit blowing @40+mph will start my ladder test.

MLC

Found the load that works
DSC03649.jpg

catman,

The 150 AB is a great bullet for the .308. I loaded them for my sister who took 5 animals with 5 shots in Africa. Three were over 200 yards.

Back