150gr. Nosler PT, R22, and the Mashburn

Leslil

Beginner
Mar 20, 2012
Well I decided to hit the range instead of going to work early. Gotta keep your priorities straight.
70grs. R22 and the 150 was a little warm at 3300 fps so I dropped back to 69gr. Loaded up 3 each at 2.87", 2.86", and 2.85".
First up was 2.87" first shot out of a clean bore put me about a inch to the left. Next 2 went .3" just above the bull.
2.86" with a fouled bore gave me a nice even triangle right around a inch.
Next up 2.85"

I would much rather do load work when it's -20 below zero. It doesn't take near as long for the barrel to cool and they're no skeeters.
2.85" opens up a little but still great for a hunting load. I could hunt either of the 3 for the rest of my life and never need more. I'm going to go back and try 5 at the 2.87" with a fouled bore. If I can keep 5 in 1.25" I'm done with that bullet.
Once again the ff load with 140gr. BT and I4350 is shooting great.
The 162gr. Amax is still giving me fits.

Sounds good buddy. Don't feel bad, it didn't shoot for squat in mine either. Then again, I haven't really focused on it.

I like the sounds of the 150 PT load though. Take a couple shots of your groups if you can. Always enjoy seeing them. Sounds like another easy Mashburn load work up! That bullet at over 3250 would be a flatliner and ample for anything walking here in the US..

The 150's are good to go. Like I said. I'll try 2.87" in a fouled bore but I'd hunt any of them.

Yeah buddy! Without a doubt! It looks like 2.87 has some serious potential right there! WOW... Love it.

Man, everytime I see another Mashburn like this, I wished I would have done one 15 years ago. It is too danged easy.

Tha Amax is smoking now. I wasn't pushing it hard enough it seams. 75.8gr. Is where it's at in mine. It's warm though. Just over 3200

Old reliable ff load. Recoil is about par with my 7-08 but its 3# lighter.
Cold bore on the left pretty dam warm barrel on the right.
I'm pleased. It was a lot better than going to work early.

Oh yeah, I think you found the spot with the AMax, once I get the hunting loads sorted out, I might have to try that with mine. Your 75.5 group looks IDENTICAL to what mine was doing. I don't fear 3200 with the AMax at all to be honest. I get 3200 on the nose with 160 AB's and 3220 with PT's at 75.5, the Amax has less bearing surface than both of those, I think your good!

Man, that is too cool!

I wish I had put one of these together a long time ago also.
3250 with the 150's was very easy.
On a side note. The brass for the 162's is on its 5 firing, annealed on the third. Still holding up very well. In going to anneal again and see if I can get 3 more out of them. The brass on the 150's is also on its fifth firing and holding well.
Next up is to confirm what I've got and start with some 168 custom comp and Retumbo.
I'm at 125 rounds thru this tube and loving it. I'm also loving how everything hits about the same poi.

Without a doubt. Same things from mine. It just seems too easy. I'd love to try some RL33 from mine with 175's. I'd bet you could get close to 3100 with them.

Your right about brass. Mine is doing very well. Which brand are you using? I've been running the Hornady with nothing bad to report. Lost a couple when I was doing load work with the 160's since the primer pockets loosend up a little but that was my fault. Other than that they are shooting excellent.

I have access to some R33 I just haven't picked up any. With the way R22 is pushing the 150's. R33 might be a good bet with the 168 nosler.
The guy I picked up my dies from threw in a hundred new pcs so that's what I went with. Just to be safe I picked up another 100 and got lucky. It was almost like both lots were sorted to match the other. To clean everything up I had to trim to 2.6" and from what I'm seeing, I'll end up tossing them before they need trimmed. They have only grown .012-.015 in 5 firings.

That is a cool round and interesting workup with those loads thus far.
It's a really cool round.
Nice job!

Dwh7271":l1a3f83g said:
That is a cool round and interesting workup with those loads thus far.
It's a really cool round.
Nice job!

Everyone needs one.... Inside every 7mm Rem Mag there is a 7mm Mashburn Super Mag SCREAMING to get out! :twisted:

Well I had to make a couple mods to the Mashburn. First off, with the 20moa base and 30mm scope in low Warne rings cheek weld wasn't the best. On some shots I noticed that the recoil felt sloppy and out of control. That also seamed to be when a random flier would pop up. Some black electrical tape and a old padded box call case and I solved that problem. Cheek weld is now perfect and the recoil is very consistant. If that makes any sense. I didn't shoot for groups but had no issue banging steel out to 500. Even though the recoil is pretty stout with full house loads, I was still able to see the hits befor the plate left the scope. It probably helps that's its fast.
Second mod was a Jewell. The only way to describe it is to let you shoot it. It still amazes me how heavy a 10oz. trigger can feel.
I annealed a few pcs. of brass today. I'm hoping to get them loaded up with the R22/150 & H1000/162 loads and get some good groups for you all to drool over.

Stock fit is pretty danged important. Sounds like you have it tweaked to fit you better now.

Looking forward to seeing what your 150's and the Amax's do. From what I see, it looks excellent so far.

Your getting me jazzed to get out and shoot mine some more..

Back