152 banded E-tip question

the444shooter

Beginner
Oct 31, 2004
I bought heavy(ish) on the .284 152 banded E-Tips a few weeks ago. I discovered that the bands/grooves are inconsistent on them, which would be why they’re blems, I guess. I thought maybe it was the fact that they were 152s instead of 150s. Now, my concern is whether or not the bands being so inconsistent will lead to inconsistent results in groups. In your guys’ experience, are my concerns valid, or are they unfounded?

Attachments

• C4D079B2-B760-4D79-9E7B-A3FB61161823.jpeg
    C4D079B2-B760-4D79-9E7B-A3FB61161823.jpeg
    341.5 KB · Views: 546
I don't think it will matter it is more for relief of too much pressure from shooting all brass type bullets. I guess you can test them just separate the different ones and then shoot them to see if you see a difference.

To add to the above Nosler sells blemished loaded ammo as well so makes me wonder if they load these bullets and then sell them as blemishes if so then they test them to make sure they are accurate.

I’m working with some 200gr .338 etip seconds for my .338 Federal. I’m having a devil of a time with getting them to shoot. The rifle shoots factory Federal Fusions MOA and Hammer Bullets Shock Hammers well under MOA. The good news is that I have lots of them. Probably figure it out when I’m down to my last 10![emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ended up sorting them according to band characteristics, and we'll just see how it goes, I guess!

I’d say that my gun likes them. The velocity is surprising; ~3300fps with 71.6gr RL26 (27”bbl) and no visible signs of pressure in my Hornady brass.

Attachments

• 43623E8F-C29F-4872-B28D-4BD4A1C2E862.jpeg
    43623E8F-C29F-4872-B28D-4BD4A1C2E862.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 421
It is obvious that the accuracy is there with that particular load. And it would definitely appear that the velocity is more than adequate. I'd be more than content with what you're producing.

DrMike":3bvfr70o said:
It is obvious that the accuracy is there with that particular load. And it would definitely appear that the velocity is more than adequate. I'd be more than content with what you're producing.

I’ll second that. If they continue shooting like that you have yourself a great load capable of walloping stuff a long way away. Their expansion is on of my favorites for monos. Big, flat front end has to pound things pretty hard.

Thanks guys, and thanks to you, specifically, DrMike. Your QL info was very pivotal to where I started. To be totally honest, I was just hoping to hover somewhere between 3100 and 3200. 3300 was a very pleasant surprise. I'll be testing some more as it warms up, to see if pressures are going to be a problem.

Glad I could be of help. I have come to appreciate the E-Tip in several cartridges. They have worked very well for me.

Back