160 Accubond and Elk!

SGT720

Beginner
Jun 30, 2007
I am heading to Montana in a month for an elk hunt using the the good ole' 7mm Rem Mag. I plan on using the 160 gr AccuBond and would love to hear any successes stories or failures with the 160 AccuBond.

SGT720

The 7mmRem Mag with the 160 gr AB is an excellent choice for elk.
The 160 gr AB will give you more than enough penetration. I have tested this bullet in my 280AI (MV 3019 fps), which is a ballistic twin to the 7mm Rem Mag with impressive results. The bullets recovered in the picture below were shot into 1 gallon water jugs at 100 yds.
280AI160grABrecovered.jpg

JD338

My brother shot a black bear a couple days ago with his 7mag and the 160 AB, awesome results.
Went in 2" behind near shoulder, through the ribcage and shattered the off side shoulder. The bear dropped like a box of rocks.

I would have liked to see an exit, bit it stopped in the shoulder.
The shot was around 125 yards.

irocbarry

Congratulations to your brother on his bear.

Can you post a picture of the recovered bullet and of course the bear?

JD338

heres the bear
kinda a dark pic unfortunatly
onlinebear.jpg

no bullet yet, bears at the processor, so should get it back from them, unless they chuck it :roll:

irocbarry,

Nice bear! What did it weigh?
Hope the butched finds and saves the recovered bullet.

JD338

The bear was right around 200 lbs and ~ 5' nose to tail.

If the butcher doesn't find it it'll be in the middle of a steak, i didn't see an exit out of the shoulder when I picked it up from the taxidermist that skinned it for us. It's the first bear that either of us had ever been around when shot, so we were a little timid about skinning it and messing up the coat.

I loaded some 7 rem mags for my hunting partner last year using the Nosler brass and the 160 AB for our elk trip. He one shot killed a 6 X 6 at 175 yrds. He is a believer in 160 AB.
Mike

well we got the bear back today, but no bullet :roll: .

i butcher my own deer so hopefully ill have the opportunity to find a bullet later this year.

Bear steaks are yummy too :grin:

Congratulations on your Bear! As to add to their viability as a big game bullet, I just shot a spike bull at 433 yards Tuesday the 9th. One shot through the lower ribs, took out the heart and exited through the ribs and leg on the other side. Went down within 15 feet of where he was standing when shot.

That is two elk I have killed with the 160 grain AccuBond in my 7mm Rem Mag. I load it up with H1000 powder and set it off with a CCI 250 Magnum primer. Never recovered a bullet yet.

Firehawk

Firehawk":rf6bm9rn said:
Congratulations on your Bear! As to add to their viability as a big game bullet, I just shot a spike bull at 433 yards Tuesday the 9th. One shot through the lower ribs, took out the heart and exited through the ribs and leg on the other side. Went down within 15 feet of where he was standing when shot.

That is two elk I have killed with the 160 grain AccuBond in my 7mm Rem Mag. I load it up with H1000 powder and set it off with a CCI 250 Magnum primer. Never recovered a bullet yet.

Firehawk

Congratulations on your elk!
Post some pics. :grin:

JD338

Back