160gr TSX from 7 Rem Mag. 2 Bullets Recovered

Mountain Goat

Handloader
Dec 14, 2010
See my post from last year, same rifle, same load.
viewtopic.php?f=49&t=26580

This year, the target was a very nice 4x4 blacktailk from 423 yards. Both bullets hit right behind the shoulder, and both exit woulds were about 1.5-2.0" in diameter. No tracking was needed, for the buck fell after the second shot. I was not the shooter, by the way.

The bullets were dug out of the ground and revealed NO expansion at all. The lungs did not look like the bullet just "pencilled through," and the exit wounds looked like any other for the most part. Had the bullets not been recoverd, I'd have no reservations on the performance of the 160gr TSX. This same rifle and ammo combo has taken several bucks and one 5pt bull elk without any question on its ability to take game cleanly. These are the only bullets we have recoverd that didn't expand, and one follow up shot on the elk was only 60 yards or so and didn't exit the ribcage. That is certainly enough to say that peformance of the TSX has been inconsistent. One can't complain about the effect it has had on game animals though. You can draw your own conclusion. Mine is this: if you double-lung a deer with any style hunting bullet, it will provide some fine table fare.

I will try to post pics soon.

Lungs penetrated by a projectile at high velocity create a sucking chest wound--nature's way of saying "Game over." At those velocities, hydrostatic shock would be significant. I've used a lot of TSX bullets in the past, primarily from my 300 WSM. To be certain the bullet accounted for a string of one-shot kills on moose, elk and deer. All the shots were well placed. Your photographic evidence of the recovered bullets is pretty startling.

That's a really nice blacktail congrats to the shooter.

Those recovered bullets are why I don't trust the Barnes bullets, far too many inconsistent results. Have to say though the tipped versions seem to be much more reliable.

I've not recovered a Barnes bullet nor do I know anyone that has.

With that said I have been concerned about expansion on deer sized game. In my conversations with Barnes they have stressed to opt for the shoulder shot and not the "boiler room".

Vince

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

One thing the TSX needs is speed to work properly. I tend to use the TTSX. Whenever possible and only use the Barnes in cartridges that best 3k fps at the muzzle and faster is better. I'm betting if you stepped down to a 120 TSX you would get better expansion.

Stating a 160 TSX in a 7 mag it was probably in the 2900-3000fps muzzle so right at the low end of my preference, why not step down in bullet weight.

That's why nosler a get the nod for anything under 3k fps or if intended Impact velocity is low like long range shooting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've seen a few of those Barnes do that, enough that I quit using them for the most part.

As mentioned- Barnes do well when the impact velocity is high, at longer range where you've shed some velocity....I'll pass.

The tipped version is reportedly better. I think an AccuBond is a better bet until the case head says "Weatherby" or "RUM".

Not stepping down in weight is a mistake with Barnes bullets. I always drop down about 80%.

So instead of a 200 gr bullet in my 300 RUM I go with 168 TTSX, a 130 instead of a 165 in the 308. 130 instead of 150 in 270, and 120 instead of a 150-160gr 7mm.

A lot of guys are using too much Barnes bullet.

Not stepping down in weight is a mistake with Barnes bullets. I always drop down about 80%.

So instead of a 200 gr bullet in my 300 RUM I go with 168 TTSX, a 130 instead of a 165 in the 308. 130 instead of 150 in 270, and 120 instead of a 150-160gr 7mm.

A lot of guys are using too much Barnes bullet.

Congratulations on the nice buck. Seems like the bullet is too tough for deer sized game.

JD338

Nice Buck! I'd agree with Mike and your assumption, as well as what Josh had to say. Over a decade ago I had that same issue with the Fail Safe bullets, but not with the TSX's. Although I was pushing the 165 MRX at 3450 and those use a tip and had a heavy core in the rear, and the old blue coated X bullet in a 8.59 Galaxy, those were 210's. Both worked very well for me in those guns, but maybe like Josh said, not enough velocity.

Interesting recovery. Seems like the tipped version would insure more expansion.

Used some Barnes in the 7mm Rem, 300 Win and 35 Whelen. Did okay but I like Nosler a lot, ABs or PTs haven't failed me in anyway yet.

Back