162 amax .284

yellow dog

Beginner
Sep 17, 2012
found a couple of unopened boxes at a yard sale. the 162a max 7mm. wondering what powder to start with.

looking for info on the net. (y) and ran across several people using them as hunting bullets.

any thoughts

I know people do use them on game. However, Hornady does identify the Amax as a target/match bullet. What cartridge are you thinking of using them in?

...I tried the 140gr. 6.5 A-Max on a muley doe last year. Neither of us were real impressed, keyholed pass-thru, no expansion, first time in a long time I've had to shoot a deer twice...

I shot two elk last year with 140's out of my 6.5-300wm (3230fps) and we shot 2 this year using 7-300wm's with 162's 3175fps). Only one required more than one shot and that was due to poor shot placement. The other 3 were dead almost instantly. I've also shot a deer at 1006yds and a antelope at 513yds with my 6.5-300wm. The deer was shot in the spine and required a finishing shot but the antelope was dead on the spot. I will continue to use them in my rifles.

Amax are very thin jacketed and while deadly if placed through the ribs they are explosive is you hit heavier bone

shot a dog with one to night.

little messy for a big game bullet.

acts like a varmint ballistic tip. I was with a buddy that shot a speed goat with the varmint bt not my cup of tea

My son used to shoot 7mmRM with 162r Amax in a Remington 700 Police 26" barrel. He said he used either 65.0 or 65.5gr's of RL22, GM215M primer and Federal brass. He thought he seated the bullet around .050" off the lands and had an OAL of around 3.35". He said he got 3050fps and grouped .25-.50" @ 100yds and shot a 4-5" group @ 1,000 yes.

I've taken many deer with the 162 A-Max from my 7STW Shots to the shoulder drop them like rocks and rarely exit. Shots behind the shoulder leave silver dollar sized exits and deer that usually run 30-40 yds before giving up the ghost.
BTW - In the older Hornady reloading books the A-Max was recommended for soft skin biggame hunting. It seems that Berger has made a small fortune marketing their (previous) match bullets as "hunting" bullets. I use the Begers too and they are very effective at taking game.

Back