165 gr. accubound meets moose

canuck4570

Beginner
Apr 3, 2009
shot at 90 yards in the hump on top of shoulder, went down immediately
45 inches horns, 1075 pounds
caliber 30-06

canuck4570

Welcome to the forum. happy that you have joined us.

Congratulations on your moose. Looks to be a big bull!
Glad the 165 gr AB worked well for you.

JD338

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on a fine looking moose. Always good to see another Canadian posting here. From your handle, may we assume you used a 45-70? Which province were you hunting?

Dr Mike - he said it was a .30-06 with a little ol' 165 gr bullet. :grin: Pretty darned impressive for what many would call a "deer rifle." I'm impressed!

Congratulations canuck4570, and welcome to the forum. Looks like everything worked out very well for you on that hunt!

Regards, Guy

Dr Mike - he said it was a .30-06 with a little ol' 165 gr bullet.

Thanks, Guy. I failed to read that final line. Actually, the 30-06 works very well on moose. I took mine this fall with my 270 WSM and a 130 grain E-Tip. I've taken them, or been present when they were taken, with everything from a 6.5 x 55 to a 325 WSM or a 358. Knowing your rifle and getting close enough to ensure a clean shot is a major aspect of hunting.

Wow that is a nice moose congratulations. And thanks for the encouragment of taking larger animals with my little 30-06 deer rifle with 165 grain Accubonds.

Corey

DrMike":2su1tqwq said:
Dr Mike - he said it was a .30-06 with a little ol' 165 gr bullet.

Thanks, Guy. I failed to read that final line. Actually, the 30-06 works very well on moose. I took mine this fall with my 270 WSM and a 130 grain E-Tip. I've taken them, or been present when they were taken, with everything from a 6.5 x 55 to a 325 WSM or a 358. Knowing your rifle and getting close enough to ensure a clean shot is a major aspect of hunting.

Dr. Mike also wrote....

Bullets with a larger frontal area tend to destroy far less meat than many of the smaller bullets travelling at greater velocity.

BUT he uses 270... :roll: WSM ... on a moose... when you shoulda used a 338.. MIKE.. :roll: LOL :lol:

I gotta get me a 338. :wink:

I'd truly love to hunt moose someday. Here in Washington it's a once-in-a-lifetime tag... IF you get drawn for the coveted tag, you're done.

Might have to look into a trip to Alaska or Canada or somewhere for moose. Guess I'll follow the lead and just figure on taking my .30-06 loaded with Noslers! :grin:

Guy,

You would not be undergunned with that load. I do prefer more mass (180 grain), but it may be a remnant of the old curmudgeon syndrome when cup-and-core bullets were all that was available. Remember that the genius for the development of the Nosler Partition was bullet failure on a Canadian moose. There is still the matter of the amount of moose that one may be required to punch through to reach the vitals which makes the heavier bullets attractive.

Right, my "standard" load for the .30-06 is a Nosler solid base, or a Nosler Partition of 165 grains at a mild 2750 fps. I also like the way it shoots 180's and might opt for them.

Darned if I know - I'm a mule deer hunter, you guys are the moose slayers! :grin:

Guy,

2750 will work well on moose. I'd just try to get as close as possible to allow a little extra insurance for velocity to drive through the animal. That is no mean feat, especially during the rut. They can come to you if you are patient. The longest shot I've made on moose was about 225 yards, and most were well under a hundred.

I really do hope you get the chance to hunt moose one day. It is a hoot. There is always the chance of seeing grizzlies in moose country, and though the danger is perhaps overstated, it is nevertheless comforting to have a rifle and load that will serve as a serious deterrent for those big critters.

canuck4570

Welcome to the forum. Glad you're here sir.

Congratulations on your moose, thank you for sharing the picture.

Canuck4570, excellent moose. Looks like a great trophy. You darn Canadians have all the fun chasing them moose. Need to get some more them migrated down our way! Scotty

You darn Canadians have all the fun chasing them moose. Need to get some more them migrated down our way!

It's global warming that is pushing them all up this way. Keep Al and send us your moose.

Could be I guess? HA. They are actually, naturally starting to repopulate in Northern New York where I am from. I am sure it will be a long time before there is ever a season, but they are coming back. My son/daughter may get a chance at them some day. Scotty

It may surprise you how quickly they can repopulate an area when they are not pushed by their natural enemies. I would suppose that cars are their greatest enemy. You have few wolves in northern New York, so they are not threatened by that predator. Black bears will certainly eat moose calves in the spring, but by the summer, they are well able to avoid bears. One can never tell how quickly they can repopulate an area.

There were no deer in Kansas when I was a boy (I know, that was when the dinosaurs were roaming the earth, and deer weren't supposed to be there). Look at the thread on elk in Kentucky, and the reports from Pennsylvania concerning the growth of the elk herds there. There has even been elk seasons in Arkansas in recent years. I'm pulling for the moose to repopulate New York. That would be neat, giving another opportunity for sportsmen to hunt this marvellous creature in the lower 48.

Back