165gr CX Hornady

Alaska

Handloader
Aug 20, 2006
Has anyone loaded 165gr Hornady CX in 308win with Varget ?
Working up a load WW brass and BR2 primers

Attachments

• CA2E6E88-0879-4A18-9CE0-91DACA3E488B.jpeg
    CA2E6E88-0879-4A18-9CE0-91DACA3E488B.jpeg
    19.7 KB · Views: 3
No, I loaded some in my 30-06 intending to take them to Africa... That didn't work out, phooey :( But the bullets shot pretty well.

I'm sure they'll penetrate really well. Tested them in Clear Ballistics Gel with excellent results.

The only real concern I had with them is that when they slow down to near 2,000 fps, they don't expand much. Otherwise, they seem like excellent hunting bullets.

Guy

Last edited:

These at 3000 fps.

No, I loaded some in my 30-06 intending to take them to Africa... That didn't work out, phooey :( But the bullets shot pretty well.

I'm sure they'll penetrate really well. Tested them in Clear Ballistics Gel with excellent results.

The only real concern I had with them is that when they slow down to near 2,000 fps, they don't expand much. Otherwise, they seem like excellent hunting bullets.

Guy
Noticed Hornady Manual list 44.0 of Varget max for all their 165gr bullets. Seems kinda conservative in 308 win. Compared to 168gr Barnes TSX bullet length about the same. 45.0 of Varget was my go to load with 165/168.

Last edited:

These at 3000 fps.
That’s smokin’ for 308 Win.

Noticed Hornady Manual list 44.0 of Varget max for all their 165gr bullets. Seems kinda conservative in 308 win. Compared to 168gr Barnes TSX bullet length about the same. 45.0 of Varget was my go to load with 165/168.

Careful with the CX's as ya work up. They're a tough copper-zinc alloy, unlike the softer all-copper Barnes. The CX's, can reach max pressure below what's indicated as maximum in the load manuals. Pretty much like what Nosler warns about re their E-Tips.

Guy

Careful with the CX's as ya work up. They're a tough copper-zinc alloy, unlike the softer all-copper Barnes. The CX's, can reach max pressure below what's indicated as maximum in the load manuals. Pretty much like what Nosler warns about re their E-Tips.

Guy
The "Tickle the Dragon" phrase seems to show its face occasionally. I value my eyes and fingers too much.

Guy
I decided to scrap the 165CX in the 308 win the bullet just takes up to much powder space the small case. I might give them a try in my 300 WM with IMR 4350.

Back