17 Hornet

ShadeTree

Handloader
Mar 6, 2017
Loading 1 of these for a buddy. I had no powder that would work for such a cartridge. Initial investigation looked like Lil Gun might be a good fit so I picked up a lb. Initial results I was not impressed.....some wild velocity fluctuations from shot to shot, and WAY fast, but eventually by being extra careful, along with neck sizing only, I got it to work. Not sure in hindsight this was the best powder, but I'm stuck with it for now, so I'm glad it's working.

9.9 gr's showed the best groups in this M25 Savage, both when bumping the shoulder, and with neck sized only. Using the 20gr Nosler Varmageddon's.

I ran the neck sized loads back through the chrono and had an extreme spread of 32fps over 5 shots. Much better. Averaged 3675. 4 shot group laying over the truck hood was .450, 5'th shot was out making it just under 3/4" but I do believe that shot was me.

Double checked it on the bench and 5 shots came in just under 1/2". Woo hoo, relieved. I'll load a bunch up for him.

Did 1 more test with this gun. I'm using Lee dies and the sizing die has a rough area in it I can feel through the press handle. Took the die apart and worked at hand polishing it. Loaded 3 more up to test again to make sure I didn't mess anything up with such a finicky little cartridge.

If I set the die to just neck size, or lightly bumping within .005, make sure I charge at dead on 9.9 gr's, and be extra careful seating the tiny bullets, it is staying consistent".

Need to move the scope yet then it should be set. Wanted to do that for this test and forgot.

Looks really good I'm sure your buddy will be pleased. Pretty tough to beat that kind of accuracy.

Gerry it's a good shooting rifle and cartridge, just fussy until you hit it right. Fun to shoot, not so fun to load for.

When doing work for buddies, everything is at cost. No time charged. If I can convince my buddy to spend a little more money, believe it or not I think it could tighten up some more.

I have nothing for small rifle. So therefore I can't correct primer pockets or de-burr flash holes. Some of the primer pockets would sure benefit from a correction tool. Don't have a 17 cal pilot bushing so I can't trim and square case mouths. I'm loading once fired factory Hornady brass. The pilot bushing will be a must by the 3rd loading.

lhsako":37jlecat said:
Can you post a pic of the rifle. Nice group !

Don't have a pic of the rifle, but it's one of these.

https://www.savagearms.com/content?p=fi ... ry&s=19154

Completely different rifle than normal savages that all follow the same pattern as far as the bolt, sear, etc.

Good shooting little rifle. Functions well on all other fronts, but I'm not impressed with the feeding on it. I pop a cartridge out of the magazine with the bolt to get it started in the chamber, then I lift the rear of the cartridge with my finger and push it slightly forward, then finish closing the bolt. Otherwise the bolt forcibly straightens out what is essentially a wedged cartridge entering the chamber at a bad angle.

P.S. Realized I had brain fade on 1 of my posts above. Knew what I meant, but typed it wrong. Shoulder bumping should read .0005, not .005. I try to set the die that I'm either neck sizing only, or just touching the shoulder bumping no more than 1/2 of a thousandth.

Shadetree, you got it working good!! I fought mine for probably the first 100 plus rounds. I did figure out early that Lil Gun was too fast and quite volatile. I was hitting pressure with my lot at 9.5 grs and getting 3750 fps!! I switched to AA1680 and my gun started shooting really well ( neck sizing made a big difference too). My gun does not like 20 gr VMaxes but shoots the 20 Noslers, Berger and 25 VMaxes well.

Recently tried some CFE BLK and accuracy stayed right with AA1680 but velocity was 150-200 fps faster when using max book loads of each AND the ES tightened up a lot with CFE BLK.

It is a fun little cartridge but a bit of pain to load for due to its size.

frankm":3ss5ifz6 said:
Shadetree, you got it working good!! I fought mine for probably the first 100 plus rounds. I did figure out early that Lil Gun was too fast and quite volatile. I was hitting pressure with my lot at 9.5 grs and getting 3750 fps!! I switched to AA1680 and my gun started shooting really well ( neck sizing made a big difference too). My gun does not like 20 gr VMaxes but shoots the 20 Noslers, Berger and 25 VMaxes well.

Recently tried some CFE BLK and accuracy stayed right with AA1680 but velocity was 150-200 fps faster when using max book loads of each AND the ES tightened up a lot with CFE BLK.

It is a fun little cartridge but a bit of pain to load for due to its size.

Frankm, upon farther reading on the subject 1680 seems to work for a lot of people. This can of Lil Gun is obviously working well now for this rifle so I don't see an issue with sticking with it. The one good thing is that I can load 700 rds for the appropriately named little hornet with this lb of powder before I gotta worry about any changes. :shock: :lol:

I've quickly realized that bullet seating with this little rascal is critical and one of the toughest steps to get right. I'm hoping being able to square case mouths with trimming in the future, will make that result easier to get to.

sako2":p216kks1 said:
Shadetree https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012927044 look at the rcbs vld case chamfer tool. It put a steeper angle on the chamfer. Helped me a lot with 22 bullets.

I seen that before, but forgot about it, thanks! I'm getting by for now, but in the future I gotta figure out something. Maybe that will be it. Thought maybe a Lee collet neck die and a Hornady bullet seater might help. Don't know?

It's taking me right at a minute to seat each bullet so it's right. :shock: That's what it's taking for now to get the accuracy I'm after but something's gotta change.

Now that I'm going through the bother of loading these, and will eventually have what I want to make the loading process easier, I'm quickly becoming tempted to get one for myself. Sweet performing combination at minimal costs to shoot.

Owner picked up the rifle at the range. I wanted to let him shoot it and go over a few things with him. Roughly 30 degrees colder temps this morning than I've previously been shooting at, he took 3 shots and basically shot a 1/2" group.

Moved the scope over this time, he will still need to move it down.

I could've kept going with reloading this as I was, as I was getting good results, but I couldn't stand how long it was taking me to get a bullet seated properly.

I pulled the seating die apart and quickly discovered the problem. The bullet nose and tip is bottoming out in the seating plug before the ogive of the bullet can make contact with the chamfered mouth of the plug. A very unstable and wobbly start to bullet seating.

Lee will make a custom bullet seating plug for the bullet you're using for $8 plus shipping. I've never had an issue with any of their other dies, but that's a no brainer. 1 of those 20 gr Nosler VMG bullets is in the mail to them.

Back