1886 .45-70 Gvt.

redrider03

Beginner
Dec 7, 2007
Hey guys, I am looking into getting one of those new Legacy Sports International M86 Pumas made by Chiappa. I already have an El Dorado 92 made by Chiappa and it is a awesome gun with alot of fine craftsmanship. What have you guys heard about the 86s? Looks like they come in a 22 and 26 inch barrel. I will be using it more for hunting and carrying in a scabbard. I really think the 22 tube would be the best way to go for what I want it for. Am I going to loose alot of performance with out the extra 4 inces of barrel? I dont figure I will shoot much long range, otherwise I would get a Sharps and the longer the barrel the better. But for a lever gun, what do you think?

Redrider03

I have a 1895 Guide in 45-70. The 18.5" barrel is quite handy but does not lack in performance. I have pushed 300 gr bullets over 2200 fps. My hunting load is with the 300 gr BST at 2050 fps. Accuracy is excellent with my best group measuring .400" at 100 yds. I have also shot it at 300 yds. I used Kentucky windage and walked the bullets into the bullseye.
I don't think you will be handicapped with a 22" barrel.

JD338

I haven't seen these before tonight. However, they are a pretty good looking rifle. I think I could be interested in one with a 22 inch barrel.

Since they are listed on the web site, I would assume that they will be available soon. Keep watching. You could always take a look at the Marlin 1895 Cowboy, which is a fine looking rifle which shoots very well.

Keep in mind the shorter the barrel the more the recoil. With light guns if you push the 45-70 pretty hard with 300 to 350 gr bullets it can get your attention but when you start to get in the 400 gr and heaver it WILL get your attention. But with those big old bullets they don't have to be going too fast to get the job done.

JD338":1i8jtk8g said:
I have a 1895 Guide in 45-70. The 18.5" barrel is quite handy but does not lack in performance. I hsvr pushed 300 gr bullets over 2200 fps. My hunting load is with the 300 gr BST at 2050 fps. Accuracy is excellent with my best group measuring .400" at 100 yds. I have also shot it at 300 yds. I used Kentucky windage and walked the bullets into the bullseye.
I don't think you will be handicapped with a 22" barrel.

JD338

I shoot the same rifle as Jim with the 300gr PT's and push the 300gr PT to 2325 with the 18.5 barrel. I don't think you would be handicapped one bit. It shoots a pretty fast powder for optimum results and the bore size allows most of it to get burned up pretty quick. I'm sure the longer barrels are nice, but I don't think you lose much at all from the shorter ones.

I'm with Mike, if you want a longer barreled rifle, the 1895 or of the 1895CB are both pretty sweet rifles. I also think Winchester is producing their 1886 as well. Can't beat the 45-70. Awesome cartridge.

I will back up what 1Shot said, 300's at 2325 are pretty decent in the recoil department. Not so much on your shoulder, but the stock smacking you in the jaw. I don't think it unbearable at all, but it does let you know it went off. You could back the loads down a few 100FPS and still have plenty of juice for just about anything and have relatively little recoil. Scotty

Not sure. If it is built to the same specs as the 1886 Win it should be capable of those rounds. Scotty

Well I ordered it!! :) I decided to get the 26 inch barrel because I talked to several different companys and they havent seen the 22 inch and werent sure it would be octagonal and since the rifle is made by Chiappa I looked at their website and their 22 model has a round barrel. So I was not sure what to do. Legacy Sports had no idea when I would be able to obtain a 22 but they had some 26s in stock so I just decided to get that. I will post pictures when I recieve it.

Now for the reloading part of it. Does anybody know where to get cheap ammo for it or what components do I need for it? I am just looking at target loads for now. What ammo, primers and what diameter of bullets do I need?

redrider03

Congratulations. Post a picture when you get her home.

JD338

Here she is!!

Attachments

• 1886d.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 1,397
  • 1886a.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 1,396
  • 1886b.JPG
    90.7 KB · Views: 1,395
  • 1886c.JPG
    84.2 KB · Views: 1,395
redrider03

Very nice, congratulations.
What bullet(s) are you going to shoot?

JD338

That looks great.

1. What are they running ($$$)?

2. Range report!

DrMike":3hgorc8p said:
Sweet looking piece of Americana.

+2! Great looking rifle. I would imagine that would be downright fun to shoot with cast 400gr bullets and some 2400. Thinking that heavier loads might be pretty rough with the steel buttplate. Let us know how it shoots. Scotty

I am shooting 405 gr. laser cast bullets from Oregon Trail. I have used RL 7 and H4895. I plan on trying IMR 3031 some day. I havent done any grouping or shooting off of a bench but while kneeling and up right I was hitting clay pigeons at appr. 75 yard with factory iron right out of the box!! I have ordered a leather butt plate wrap from Kirkpatrick and I have a Marble Improved tang sight coming in the mail. Even at 9 pounds that butt plate can give you quite a beating! haha

What should I look for as clues that my loads are too hot??

You won't notice an traditional marks on primers or things like that with 45-70 loads most of the time. I would say as long as you are sticking with book data for the 1886 Win and the 1895 Marlins you will be fine. It is not a very high pressure cartridge, so most of the data available from the trapdoors to the stronger lever rifles will keep you in good shape.

Sounds like that rifle is doing really. 75 yards and pigeons is pretty good shooting! Scotty

beretzs":15qvwlvt said:
You won't notice an traditional marks on primers or things like that with 45-70 loads most of the time. I would say as long as you are sticking with book data for the 1886 Win and the 1895 Marlins you will be fine. It is not a very high pressure cartridge, so most of the data available from the trapdoors to the stronger lever rifles will keep you in good shape.

Sounds like that rifle is doing really. 75 yards and pigeons is pretty good shooting! Scotty

Not sure about that Scotty,

I would check with the manufacturer to see if they suggest the Sharps loading (27K) or the Marlin Loading (44K).

Personally a 405 at 1200 fps would suit me fine.

FOTIS":1evlceuj said:
Not sure about that Scotty,

I would check with the manufacturer to see if they suggest the Sharps loading (27K) or the Marlin Loading (44K).

Personally a 405 at 1200 fps would suit me fine.

Good point Fotis. I guess I am assuming that this 1886 is built to modern pressure standards. If that were the case, I would just stick with Trapdoor loads unless I knew the rifle would stand up to Modern Lever Rifle loads. Heck, with that curved steel buttplate, trapdoor loads would probably be enough for me anyhow. Scotty

Back