190 gr. ABLR in 30-06?

That's a great load you have there, 2768 fps is moving along nicely.

Its always interesting to read these posts about different
Bullets, in different calibers. I have always maintained my position, about selecting the correct bullet weight for the animal your hunting............ After reading all the response to this 190ABLR, they is lots of reference to speeds possible, speculation on energys and other ideas on accuracys?
However its not mentioned here that this bullet is likely
really only a cutting edge performer out of the 30/06 for long range on "LARGER" big game. Selecting this as a "deer load" after watching hundreds of head of game, die taken with the old 30/06, imho is not going to be a wise choice. Both the 190/210 gr bullets are going to be stellar performers on Elk or Moose sized game were there is enough body mass to get effective transfer of the bullets energy , not just simply punching holes thru them, with the game running off. So I will predict both these new ABLR bullets to make big news
On super long range shots on Elk sized game.
I think with that said there will also be a fair amount of
moaning because they may not shoot as well as a different bullet profile; in some particular barrels twist? And I fully expect to read about, some folks that take a poke at a 150lb deer and are not going to be overly impressed with the results, after it runs off before dieing
I have full intentions to use these 190ABLRs, for long range "Moose loads"; when we are calling around bogs; Where over 300yds shots ,are very common. Out to 300yds, I simply use my 35 Whelen always, it works the same as my old faithful .338 did for many years: Perfectly.
But behond that; I am going to have some of these new 190 ABLRs ready to rock; from my old 06 for the " long ones".moose-in-lake.jpg
E

John B, thank you for your post. I guess I didn't go back far enough when I was looking for prior posts. That bullet does indeed work very well for you. Congratulations on making it work for you and on your deer.

Stetson05, thank you for sharing your experience with this bullet in this caliber. It sounds like you guys are getting very good speeds with it. That is an impressive target.

35 Whelen, yes, the intended use of this combination would be for Elk. I am currently working on a deer load for Caleb in Savage model 111 with 165 BT's. However, I am pleasantly surprised with that rifle and it has me thinking about getting one for myself for use as an elk rifle. Or, even using Caleb's with an elk load. There is a chance that I might someday convince Rol_P to sell me one of his 30-06's. I am just thinking ahead.

Guy, yes, you clearly fall into the category of folks that Jason Miller mentioned in his post, "Well, it seems like most of the 30-06 shooters on this site tend to stick with, A. Bullets in the traditional 150-180 range, and, B. The time-tested bullets that they've already had years of success with." You have no reason to waste your time when you have something that works for you. And, obviously yours does work for you.

Dan

E - great photo of that moose!

Stetson - yup - you've got a great load there! :)

Dan - agree, I fall right into that group that Jason Miller mentioned! I'm happy with my 30-06 load & rifle. :)

I might get the bug to try a new bullet in there someday, but heck, I haven't even tried the 168 E-Tips yet... And they're sitting in my "gun room" just waiting for me to try 'em. :)

Guy

E, good post and without typing out my opinions and making somebody upset, I'll just say I whole heartedly agree.

ST,
Well it's not hard to ruffle some feathers when the talk turns to bullets and calibers, however I have certainly noticed over the years, some of the least experienced folks when it comes to actual kills; seam to harbor the
strongest ( and often times loudest) opinions?
I have had to step in numerous times over the years at the lodge, when tempers flared and it was headed for
" dukes flying" especially after 3/4 High balls!
I have a bird hunter that plans on trying to take a big Polar Bear in the high Arctic with a 17 HMR.......,,
Another hunter told me a few years back that his " go to Coyote gun" was a 378 Weatherby with solids?? Claims there was no pelt damage. There are some very strong opinions when it comes to bullets.......
Often based on very very limited actual experience. But hey this is America !

It you shoot heavy old school tough bullets like the Trophy Bonded, Swift A Frame, Barnes TSX and the like at smaller animals I would agree. However the new long range bullets like the ABLR and ELD-X are a different breed, both of those are going to open up well on deer sized game in the heavier weights so I would have no issues shooting them with a bullet like the 190 gr ABLR at 308 or 30-06 speeds.

I’m a constant tinkerer when it comes to reloading and shooting. My 30-06 shoots so doggone well with so many loads, you’d think I’d just pick one and stick to it... but this thread is causing me to have another itch to try a different load. Alas, I won’t have near enough time this winter/spring to develop a load that would be ready for my Colorado elk hunt this coming fall. It’s interesting that people are getting the same or better velocities with that 190 that I’m getting with my 180s.

EastTNHunter":2tenj0ep said:
I’m a constant tinkerer when it comes to reloading and shooting. My 30-06 shoots so doggone well with so many loads, you’d think I’d just pick one and stick to it... but this thread is causing me to have another itch to try a different load. Alas, I won’t have near enough time this winter/spring to develop a load that would be ready for my Colorado elk hunt this coming fall. It’s interesting that people are getting the same or better velocities with that 190 that I’m getting with my 180s.
I think it is related to the bearing surface of the bullet with the barrel. Less drag as I understand it. I'm definitely happy with the velocity.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

About 2 years ago I purchased 2 boxes/100 each of the 210gr AccuBond LR intended to load them in my 300RUM that is loaded with 200gr Accubonds @ 3200fps now.

I never got around to giving them a try so just last week I decided to try them out in my 22" barreled T/C Prohunter in 30-06 I currently load 165gr Accubonds @ 2900fps for this rifle have them zeroed 1 3/4" high at 100 yards.

55grs RL22 gave me 2430fps @ 100 yards I could not find a bullet hole in the target shot a couple more still couldn't see a hole.

Moved onto trying my 56gr RL22 load these gave me 2490fps (my velocity goal was 2500fps) I aimed super high on the target and found a hole 16" low yep I was shooting the previous five 210gr loads under the target.

I was very happy to see that this load gave me an under 3/4" 3 shot group at 100 yards that's without any tweaking of the load was my first attempt with these bullets the Hornady ballistic calculator shows that with a 190 yard zero I'll be only 8.5" low at 300 yards.

Once my 165gr loads are gone I will most definitely be loading these 210gr AccuBond LR's as my do everything 30-06 load.

If I had bought 190gr AccuBond LR instead I'd probably be putting my 165gr loads to the side and shooting them exclusively.

Now all that said, "if" I wanted one cartridge, one rifle, one bullet-design and weight, with my favorite scope to do all the work no matter where I hunted and meet all my needs in the field, on medium to large game, what would it be? The 30-06 Browning X-Bolt, with a 190gr Long Range AccuBond and fitted with a Leupold scope.

Using Norma MRP shooting 5/8s inch group at 100yds for a 3 shot group.
190gr ABLR DROP VEL ENERGY
Muzzle -1.5 2735 3156
100YDS 2.6 2583 2814
230YDS 0.0 2392 2413
300YDS -5.6 2292 2217

With the above load in my .30-06 with a 22" barrel, I have as much energy at 230 yards as the .308 Win with a 22" barrel using a 180gr bullet has at 56 yards. With the 190gr LRAB in my 30-06, I have as much energy at 230 yards as the .308 win using the same bullet has at 54 yards.

Back