1958 Savage 110 bolt conversion

filmjunkie4ever

Handloader
May 4, 2011
Pivotal to my .35 Whelen project is an old Savage 110 action made in or around 1958. Serial Number is 15xxx. Due to poor care it needs some help but being as original parts are tough to find, I am planning to have a chat with my gunsmith about converting it to a push-feed bolt head. This was a parts gun given to me by a member of my family.

Those unfamiliar with the original Savage 110 may not realize it but the ejector is actually a spring-loaded spur that is attached to the rear of the magazine box. I am thinking that with the installation of a modern Savage 110 bolt face that I can circumvent a lot of the parts issues. I would leave it be but the ejector doesn't work as is, so I am thinking if I can get these modifications made, perhaps I can make the action operational. I am learning that "free" rarely if ever means that something won't end up costing me money.

Has anyone else ever done this conversion? Is there any advice or experience that I should hear before taking it to my smith? Is this a complete waste of time?

Back