20 years in AK

salmonchaser

Handloader
Dec 13, 2013
For the last 20 years I guided in Alaska, until this year. It's mid July, damn grizz would be every where. I've seen 20 in a day fishing the same water I was. Now I'm trying to remember what summer is like. Most days I wore long John's under my waders.
It's 85 on back deck right now, the view is good, Catherine is preparing dinner and I'm nursing a beer from Terminal Gravity Brewing. Hope you all enjoy your weekend.

Attachments

• 812E6C6B-1F77-4209-9B80-D104EC96D4FE.jpeg
    812E6C6B-1F77-4209-9B80-D104EC96D4FE.jpeg
    835 KB · Views: 28
It is Dr. Mike, I’ve had a job since I was 12, 67 now. Catherine ensures I stay busy with the things that just were not getting done with me gone. Yes rl338 I’ve been blessed and have lived an exciting and somewhat charmed life through no fault of my own.

Well it's 55 and pouring rain on the Kenai at the moment so you're not missing a whole lot weather wise. Been hot and dry up till 2 days ago though so can't complain. Enjoy retirement and a whole lot more porch sodas, looks like a nice place.

It is Dr. Mike, I’ve had a job since I was 12, 67 now. Catherine ensures I stay busy with the things that just were not getting done with me gone. Yes rl338 I’ve been blessed and have lived an exciting and somewhat charmed life through no fault of my own.
Salmon.

I know you probably don't want to hear this, but I'm going to say it anyway - Thank you. It might seem an odd thing to say, but it is inspiring to me to know there are just hard-working folks out there. Glad to see you have a little slice of heaven there.

Another project. I've two trees blocking my view of the summit. 60 foot Doug fit on the left and that 100 foot ponderosa back in there about 100 yards. With them gone I can glass near the elk wallows up near the top.

Attachments

• C9D1B9F8-FAE1-4CFA-B679-D2404697E991.jpeg
    C9D1B9F8-FAE1-4CFA-B679-D2404697E991.jpeg
    991.9 KB · Views: 9
Very nice. Enjoy your new venture. Hope the bulk of your days are spent enjoying what you want to do one way or another, but don't sit around with your feet propped up so you'll still be around to enjoy it for years to come. Doesn't sound like you will be!

Congratulations. I hope I can find a little slice of heaven like that. Still have about 10 years to go before I can hang up boots, but they’re closing in fast. People ask why I work 6 days a week and I tell them so I can top off my barrel a little quicker, and kick off “my time”

Best part, I hadn't been into Reds in over 20 years, or back packing for that matter. I do think this is one of my favorite ever.

Attachments

• 0195C7F8-D596-4FC7-A526-0CB798590C4B.jpeg
    0195C7F8-D596-4FC7-A526-0CB798590C4B.jpeg
    283.9 KB · Views: 15
Hi Salmoncatcher,
Have been away from the forums for a while. Just lots of time taking care of in laws and my employer is selling my part of the company… that said, I made it to Ontario for a fabulous week of fishing. I’ve seen many things and got treated to a new combo on 8/18, we had a clear night, wind laid down, lake flattened out. Super blood moon came up… made the wolves howl to the north of us.. nirth shore ranges 3-6 miles… sound can really carry. The the wolves to south and west joined in. Spooked the loons, they went nuts. 15 minutes that went on, silence, wolves then loons… repeat… Milky Way came out, meteor shower, and to cap it Northern lights all between 10-12. Very nice night to sit on the shore.. can’t imagine you haven’t seen nights like that nearly every summer.
I told the story in camp of your dad helping bring salmon to the Great Lakes (kings and coho) I hadn’t mentioned this, my grandfather fished lake st Clair. (Between Huron and Erie) for Yellow perch and occasional walleye. In the early 70’s, Grandpa caught a coho that probably went 18” in lake st Clair. Confused the heck out of him. He had never seen a salmon…not aware of anyone else ever catching a salmon in LSC. Returning from the side track… remind me the name of your brothers lodge? One of the guys was asking about maybe doing a different camp. Was considering floating that idea.
I want to get my boys to go. The doctor is Chief Fellow of Rheumatology at MUSC in Charleston SC and his younger brother is in nursing school.. grandkids starting to appear. Looking forward to teaching them hunting and fishing. Sad to hear you are not guiding this year because it means I missed having you for a guide…thanking you for your years of service, your shared experiences with birds, elk and salmon… wishing you a happy retirement… I’m 62 so catching up!

MJC. What a great story with the blood moon and the wolves. Their howls do carry a very long way. For us September seemed to be when we would really start hearing them. We’ve always had four or five dogs at the lodge. Nothing like having a couple of shorthairs and labs joining in the Singing.
I would have love the opportunity to have guided you and your boys. We would have had a great time. My brother sold the lodge over the winter. It was thirty years old, time for a big investment or sell it and let someone else work on the pride of ownership and remodel.
Kate and Justin Crump bought the place and did just that, it looks great from the pics I’ve seen. They run a top notch outfit, great anglers with quite a bit of experience.
Changed the name to “the lodge at 58 north.
If you are interested in going to Bristol Bay I’ve a couple of recommendations depending on how you like to fish and what you want to fish for. Do not go to Bristol Bay for Kings. I would be surprised if they open the season on kings next year.
Don.

Back