200 grain Accubonds

lefty315

Handloader
Sep 29, 2004
Just started working up a load for my .300 WSM, Kimber, using 200 grain Accubonds. All loads showed 4 shot groups with H4350 just under 1 inch with the exception of one shot I will take the blame for. The best 4 shot group measures around 1/2 inch with 62 grains of powder and seated at COL 2.860. Don't have a clue what the velocity is but who cares with that accuracy.

lefty315,

Congratulations on a very nice load.
I'm with you, taking accuracy over velocity. The 200 gr AB will retain velocity and energy better than a loghter bullet. With a MV somewhere between 2800-2900 fps, it is a powerful load both near and far.
What are you going to hunt?

JD338

SSSSHHHH, please, not so loud. My Kimber might just hear you and stop shooting so well. Never heard a thing about not shooting the 200's, I'm sure with the case capacity they wouldn't get up as much speed at a .330 Win Mag. But I can hear the powder move around when I shake the case so I am not eating up all that much space. 62.5 grains with a CCI magnum primer and Winchester brass is giving me around 2825 fps. I looked at so manuals that I have and that is near what they were getting in a .300 WM.

Wish I could remember where I read that. Oh well, it wasn't a safety thing anyway. If they shoot good out of your gun, then that's all that matters. Good luck.

Sounds about right. That is the kind of performance I am used to with AB's.

What was said was that the long 200 grain bullets may not leave enough room for powder if you are trying to achieve the same velocity as other 300 mags.
But I can seat bullets out .100" past SAAMI specs in my 300 WSM, so that leaves more room for powder.

Lefty315,

I am using IMR 7828, federal match magnum primers and winchester brass. It is the maximum load listed in Noslers 5th edition. I cant remember off hand what amount of powder it is. No signs of of a hot load and it shoots 1/2" groups.

Back