200 grain corelokt - 35 Whelen

lanman

Beginner
Dec 3, 2011
I've heard less than favorable reports on the 200 grain rem corelokt 35 Whelen round.
I bought a box a year or so back and decided to bust some jugs with one.
The bullet literally destroyed the first two jugs, split the third and then jumped out.
I found it while cleaning up after several other jug killings took place.

It weighed 144.4 for 72.2% weight retention.
I was expecting it to look worse.

%255BUNSET%255D

%255BUNSET%255D

%255BUNSET%255D

Dan

Nothing wrong with that for a deer bullet, thanks for posting your results.

That would inflict massive damage on a deer or on a black bear. It would work very well at Whelen velocities.

DrMike":3rva85db said:
That would inflict massive damage on a deer or on a black bear. It would work very well at Whelen velocities.

My Whelen is primarily a whitetail cannon. I know Scotty has had less than favorable results from this bullet as well as other shooters.
I shot this bullet mostly to compare it to the 200 interlock I have been using for deer. I was hoping the results would show it to be a lesser bullet.
If anything, it has made me question the interlock.. I have had good results with it so far, but I think I may join Gerry and start shooting the 200 AB.

The 200 grain AB is an excellent choice for Gerry in light of the size of game he can anticipate encountering. Moose and big bears need some persuasion. Should he come east a bit, he will encounter elk. Otherwise, I should imagine that the Corelokt and/or Interlock would work well for deer size game. I used the 200 grain Interlock in my 358 with good success.

I would rate both the Hornady and Remington 200's to be excellent deer bullets, the 200 gr AccuBond and TTSX are definitely a step up and can handle deer and bigger animals. I don't feel bad hunting in grizzly country with either of those.

Mike I do hope Maria and I will draw permits and make it over there for an elk hunt. I can't believe the LEH permit results aren't out yet, they have to be out soon.

Dan, you know that I'm running a 250gr HotCor. While heavier than you're shooting, they might work for you? They are not pricey (when you can find them), and they perform quite well.

The fly in the ointment for you is that I had my Whelen set up with a 12 twist, where yours is probably sporting a 16. I think Scotty has run 250's in his 700, though, so you might be able to get it to work?

The HotCor has left me wanting for nothing on the deer it's killed for me so far, and it's a pretty cheap bullet if you shop carefully.

gerry":198etfzq said:
Mike I do hope Maria and I will draw permits and make it over there for an elk hunt. I can't believe the LEH permit results aren't out yet, they have to be out soon.

It would be delightful to host you over this way. I think I can show you the elk.

That would be nice, the salmon over this way are calling your name........ :)

Yes the 250 gr Speer is another very good all around bullet too.

Dan,
Nice work and a good recovery.
The 200 gr PSPCL is a great deer bullet in the 35 Whelen but I do question the penetration. I have taken 4 WT bucks with this bullet and recovered two.

JD338

JD338":34rmcdgq said:
Dan,
Nice work and a good recovery.
The 200 gr PSPCL is a great deer bullet in the 35 Whelen but I do question the penetration. I have taken 4 WT bucks with this bullet and recovered two.

JD338

Jim, that's what Scotty said too. He wasn't getting pass thru's on whitetails with this bullet. He recovered the deer, but had to leave one over night to find it.

Tom, I'm sure the heavier hotcore would do the trick. I currently have 100- 200 grain AB's, 50- 225 AB's, 100- 200 interlocks and a 50 box of 220 speer flat noses before I need to buy more .358 toys.
My rifle really liked the flat nose 220's.. I don't think I could keep one of them in a deer. I shot a doe with one two years ago. Entered behind the last rib and exited the off side front shoulder. Lots of penetration.

That looks really good Dano. Makes me wonder if I had two flukes with two shots. Man, I shot two whitetails on the same stand, one at 140 yards and one at 250 ish. Neither bullet went thru the deer and I found alot of jacket and lead fragments. Remington stuff doesn't push them terribly fast either. Both were dead deer, but I didn't like the results. I always figured the 35 would blow right on through, as Mike says, 200 grains is alot of mass.. Those were the first animals taken with the Whelen.

Seems like a good looking bullet for the most part. I probably just had two bullets made on a Monday :lol: ?

I've always felt that 200gr CoreLock was designed for the 35Rem and velocities not exceeding 2100fps. Your bullet here looks pretty good though. I think the Speer 220gr FP and Sierra 225gr GK are perfect for deer and the 35 Whelen.

CatskillCrawler":3kubuand said:
I've always felt that 200gr CoreLock was designed for the 35Rem and velocities not exceeding 2100fps. Your bullet here looks pretty good though. I think the Speer 220gr FP and Sierra 225gr GK are perfect for deer and the 35 Whelen.

The 225 gr PT is a dandy bullet for WT deer. :wink:

JD338

First the 200gr Core Lokt Soft point is a round nosed bullet and it was designed for the 35rem. It actual just come to its own at 2100fps to 2300fps. It is very rebust and for deer works fine in the 358win at 2500fps. The 200gr Core Lokt Pointed is a completely different bullet designed for the 350rem and 35whelen.

I have seen two versions of the 200gr CL pointed bullet. The earlier version has accounted for 3 of 3 one shot DRT bucks for me. The newer version is much pointier and I have not used any yet in ammo or reloads. I bought a 100 from midway only to find out they were cannelured very high for the 350rem. So for a 200gr bullet its just been the spire point I have loaded in the 358win. Check out the 200gr CLRN bullet test here on nosler its great and at 2300fps I believe.

Back