2009 Maine Moose

CraigP

Beginner
May 4, 2005
I just got back a couple days ago from moose hunting in Maine and New Hampshire. I was limited on time in New Hampshire and was only able to hunt the first 4 days of the season. There was a lot of fresh sign in the area we hunted (zone D-2) but we never ran into the moose. Maine was a different story. Saw 3 cows the first day, but with a bull tag in my pocket the cows were of no help. Was able to harvest to smaller eating size bull at 6:30am on day number 2. The rack measures right at 30" with 5 points on each side. We estimated he weighed between 600 and 700 pounds. I hunted Maine with Turnpike Ridge Outfitters in Zone 6. After waiting 17 years for my Maine tag I am more than happy with the bull I took. This bull took 3 shots from my 300 Weatherby Mag loaded with handloaded 180gr. Nosler E-Tips. 2 shots in the shoulder and 1 shot in the front of the chest. No bullets were recovered.

me and my bull.
2009MooseHunts003.jpg

me, my bull, and my guide Darren Johnson
2009MooseHunts007.jpg

me, my bull, and the outfitter Don Helstrom
2009MooseHunts009.jpg

Craig

Awesome ! Congratulstions and thanks for sharing buddy!

Thanks for sharing the pics and the hunt. That bull will provide some excellent table fare this coming year. Congratulations.

Congratulations on your hunt!

I keep putting in for a moose tag here in Washington, but no luck on the draw so far...

Good job!

CraigP

Congratulations on a really nice Main bull. Well done!

JD338

Great pictures. Thanks for sharing the story. A Maine Moose hunt has always appealed to me. Sounds like a great time.

Great bull, awesome shooting. Your 300WBY is identical to my 7mm Mag. Glad you got a freezer full of meat. That is awesome. Can't beat moose for excellent table fare. Sounds like the ETips keep plugging away at an excellent rep. Haven't heard a bad thing about them yet. Scotty

Congratulations on a nice bull. Seems odd that a moose could take two E-Tips through the shoulders and still be standing ????

I think they are dead, just still trying to figure out they are dead. I can't see anything but a 375 and up really bowling a moose over, DRT. Or maybe a spinal or big shoulder shot. Scotty

I have witnessed moose take four shots through the shoulder without falling. They are somewhat phlegmatic. Though the noise startles them, they seem unable to appreciate the fact that they are dead.

I would have to agree with DrMike, I used my 375 H & H with 235 speers on top of 70 some grains of powder and I hit it twice in the shoulder and it took a couple of minutes to fall down.

Blessings,
Dan

Back