2009 Moose for DrMike

DrMike

Ballistician
Nov 8, 2006
I was beginning to worry that I might go without moose this year. There has been a series of adventures and mis-adventures that had resulted in passing over a variety of legal bulls this year. Well, my trusty native guide redeemed himself tonight. While I was conducting a church service this morning, he was scouting for either of the young bulls he or I had seen at various times during the previous weeks. When I phoned him this afternoon, he said that the hunting area was awfully quiet. He had taken a small bull there a couple of weeks ago with his traditional bow, and then he had seen a young bull that wandered up to him to inspect that black Dodge. He frantically phoned me whilst I was supervising workers who were busy completing installation of some new kitchen cabinets. I hurried the workers out of the house and drove madly the 75 km to where he was. Of course, we saw nothing the remainder of that evening. So, for this evening's hunt, he recommended that we go to an old hunting ground that we had not visited this year.

We found evidence of some massive wolves in the area, and we saw a number of tracks for both moose and elk, but we saw no game, other than some whitetails. We drove into a remote area that normally keeps out all but the heartiest souls. Sure enough, there were no tire tracks in the snow and no evidence of anyone being in this area for some time.

As we neared the large cut blocks where we anticipated game, I was watching to my right, and fervently praying that God would direct me to an addle-brained moose. I reasoned that slightly dense moose will taste as good as brilliant moose--maybe better! Suddenly, Gil somewhat excitedly said, "There's a moose."

Being somewhat blind, and perhaps just a bit dense, I looked down the trail we were traversing and saw nothing. Then he said, "Mike, he has three brow tines. He's legal!"

At last, I casually glanced over to the left, and there he stood in the gloaming. There was about fifteen minutes of shooting light left, and the beast was about thirty yards into the trees, partially obscured by a large tree. In fact, his antlers were visible on either side of the tree as he tried to peek around the tree.

He was facing me head-on. Should he whirl and depart, it would mean that I likely wouldn't have much of a shot. The shot was close, and I had chosen to carry my 270 WSM. I was shooting a 130 grain E-Tip that produces a velocity that ichronographs at 3250 fps. I did manage to thread a shot through the brush. We didn't recover the bullet (it is still inside the carcass), but we know it penetrated the shoulder, left lung, and penetrated the peritoneum, rupturing the liver in the process.

At the shot, the moose whirl to run. A second shot through the spine anchored the bull on the spot. Then the work began. Gil was great at quartering the moose. Long story short, the 130 grain E-Tip from a 270 WSM worked just fine to bag this year's moose.

I thought I'd share some pics from the hunt this evening.

PA250060.jpg

I figure this to be about a three and one-half or four year old. In any case, he is plenty big enough for me.

PA250063.jpg

This is the obligatory photo of the great white hunter posed with the beast he has taken.

PA250064.jpg

This is my trusty native guide, Gil. He is like a son to me, and he treats me like his father. We have developed a great friendship, of which I am the greatest beneficiary. He worked hard for my moose. One of the great benefits to me is that I don`t have to listen to his constant ribbing that I am a secret vegetarian.

Well, at least I was not skunked this year.

No sir, you were NOT skunked! Congratulations on the bull moose! I hope to take one someday...

DrMike,

Congratulations on your bull moose. He looks like a keeper to me. :lol:
Thank you for the story and pictures.

JD338

Congratulations on the moose. Thrilled that you scored and it is good to know you won't go hungry this winter.

Mama sent me out into the woods to find a two-year-old. So, I've been looking hard for a fork-horn. However, when this fellow showed himself, I wasn't going to ignore him.

I have until Saturday to find an elk. Again, Mama says we should have a nice cow or a young bull for the freezer, and so that has been my focus. It does limit the options sometimes.

Glad to see those 130 ETs are working good for ya. Nice job on the moose! One of these years I'm going to get out of the sand pit and shoot a moose.

Mike, that is awesome you finally got a moose. I think it was just carrying one of those sacred Model 70's that swung the luck in your favor! That is excellent. Glad to see the might 270WSM has claimed another head of game for you, and a great moose on top of that. Congratulations again, Those are great pictures, even though you forgot to put the obligatory picture of the moose with the Rifle.... Man, what an awesome hunt. Scotty

Those are great pictures, even though you forgot to put the obligatory picture of the moose with the Rifle....

Actually, the rifle jammed, and I had to beat the moose to death with a stick! :lol: :wink:

The 270 WSM worked just fine. The E-Tip penetrated very well indeed. Then again, the moose was only about 30 yards or so from me. It actually was standing behind a tree. I could see antlers on either side of the tree, which forced me to thread the shot into the left shoulder. I'm pretty impressed with the E-Tip, however.

DrMike,

If you can, post a picture of the recovered bullets.

JD338

JD,

I couldn't find the bullets as I was cleaning and quartering in the dark. They are still in the bush. If I'm able to get back in there, I'll dig around in the bone pile to see if I can find the bullets.

Great friend, great looking Moose, and good stories. Skunked you were not! Blessed for sure!! Congrats!! CL

DrMike
Nice trip indeed and a great story to boot. Congratulations on both a fine moose and a great friendship. Life is good :grin:
Greg

DrMike, it definitely looks like you will have a full freezer this winter.
Congrats on a great moose the story was interesting as well.
Photos completed it.

Blessings,
Dan

Good for you. I know you've been looking hard and glad that you had success. Enjoy that moose meat.

Long

Back