200gr PT and 85gr Sierra GK recovery

SJB358

Ballistician
Dec 24, 2006
32,095
2,426
Here are the last ones I have gents. My buddy was shooting his 300WM with RL22 and the 200gr PT's. They were running right at 2950, so they were really getting it! I know the RUM and WBY's could move them faster, but that close to 3K is still impressive and would be enough for any larger game tackled with the rifle/bullet combo. I am kinda getting bored of testing PT's cause in reality, I know what they are going to look like almost everytime. That is a good thing to me. I have alot of respect for the PT and it is well earned by them. They are very reliable up close and farther out. Anyhow, here are some results.

DSC_2956.jpg


DSC_2955.jpg


DSC_2954.jpg


Here is the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnG3-3JmL7Y

Next up was my son shooting the 85gr Sierra GK as loaded by Federal in their Premium line. The ammo was kindly donated by Charlie (OT3). I won't say the Sierra is tough, but it did destroy 3 jugs and spit its core from the jacket. To be fair though, the skin of the plastic has to assist that more than it would naturally occur. So, any of you all looking for a cheap and accurate deer bullet, I give the little GK props. I have used it around 3200 before on some deer up North and it was shocking. It expanded like crazy, dropped deer fast and was found against the opposite side of the entry hole. It isn't made for raking shots or anything crazy like that, but it works well when applied well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMa6HrCEp8U&NR=1

Here is an extra, just to give Nosler some more props.. This is the 180gr JHP shot out of Brian's 10mm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIaDg1-FvGo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lVcyaXjzpu0

Anyhow, sorry for all of the videos, but I thought you would enjoy them. I am a crummy camera operator, but I had a ton of fun.

Oh, you Ford guys shouldn't park as close as I did my Dodge. I imagine it (Fords) may start leaking (peeing it's pants) when these heavy cartridges are going off.. Wouldn't want you to have to get a tow leaving the range!!! JK :twisted:

Scotty
 
Did I understand you to say that the Dodge was peeing at being so close to the rifles. Good videos, Scotty.
 
DrMike":2u3b1yzh said:
Did I understand you to say that the Dodge was peeing at being so close to the rifles. Good videos, Scotty.

Thanks Mike. It was a good time. Scotty
 
JD338":s5nhhcmb said:
That 308 200 gr PT is a penetrater.

JD338

You aren't kidding Jim. For the guy that wants to use his 300WM or WBY or RUM for everything, the 200gr PT would be my choice. It again, is very accurate and really performs.

If any of you all want to see any other Nosler bullets shot into jugs, let me know. It is really a great test medium and provides alot of useful information to us, as users. Scotty
 
Nice job Scotty that sure is fun isn't it!! I noticed that you DID NOT take photo's with the Sierra perched on top of the NOSLER BIBLE like you did the Partition. Probably a good thing as that bible might have spontaniously combusted!! :shock: :mrgreen: That would have been just wrong to do so. Are you getting royalties for the Nosler photo's on the Nosler book? :lol: In all honesty I think that was a great idea on your part even if I do have to admit it. Much better than just putting them onto a gun cleaning matt, at least this shows some class!

David
 
I think that was like the mormon bible :twisted: ... the KJV would be the Sierra Manual, with that 85 gr HPBT on top :wink: !

I'm running those at 3250 through my 6-250 this fall. Can't wait to see the culled does fall!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the post! If I had a magnum 30 I have no doubt whatsoever that 200 NPT would be THE CHOICE!!
 
6mm Remington":2ohxv1sd said:
Nice job Scotty that sure is fun isn't it!! I noticed that you DID NOT take photo's with the Sierra perched on top of the NOSLER BIBLE like you did the Partition. Probably a good thing as that bible might have spontaniously combusted!! :shock: :mrgreen: That would have been just wrong to do so. Are you getting royalties for the Nosler photo's on the Nosler book? :lol: In all honesty I think that was a great idea on your part even if I do have to admit it. Much better than just putting them onto a gun cleaning matt, at least this shows some class!

David

I always take pictures on the Nosler Manual. It is my favorite of the bunch I have. I just like it. Nosler doesn't send me royalties, but they do take care of me once in awhile and I have nothing but good wishes towards their company.

For reference, I am not sure where the Sierra jacket and core are at. I looked but I think my son might have taken them for his little collection. Scotty
 
Scotty, that is great, I love to see the Partition do it's thing, and it certainly does. I also like the t-shirt :mrgreen:
 
Thanks fellers. Yeah, that T-Shirt was great. I am just about done testing PT's. They all look the same when they come out of the jugs... Scotty
 
beretzs":27bfjnht said:
Thanks fellers. Yeah, that T-Shirt was great. I am just about done testing PT's. They all look the same when they come out of the jugs... Scotty

That is why they have lasted and continue to sale since 1948 :mrgreen:
 
Not sure I will ever get tired of seeing jugs of water blowing up and nice neat recovered bullets. Nice work.

Corey
 
C.Smith":11n9nlrz said:
Not sure I will ever get tired of seeing jugs of water blowing up and nice neat recovered bullets. Nice work.

Corey

Me neither! It is a ton of fun. Hard to have that much fun and still be legal sometimes!

It is a good way to see what bullets really do though. I would like to put some Sierra's from my 300 mag into jugs, just to see what they do. Plastic jugs are pretty rough on jacketed bullets. I think it might show us some stuff about the Sierra's and other bullets that get a bad rap. Might even put a piece of plywood up front, just to simulate smashing a shoulder bone on something like an elk. Scotty
 
...won't help you w/ your quest to find "The Perfect Bullet", Scotty, but it rates way up there on the "Fun Scale"...

...WallyWorld sells 2lt. bottles of something called "Grapette" for about $.78. Destroying this stuff w/, say, a 100gr. 7mm Sierra HP @ 3500-3700fps is a "community service", just about the most fun you can have for a buck & a quarter, & brings a whole new meaning to "Purple Rain"...
 
Well gents looks like Nosler has their own Francis C. Copolla now! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Nice videos!
 
wildgene":3dd3zxom said:
...won't help you w/ your quest to find "The Perfect Bullet", Scotty, but it rates way up there on the "Fun Scale"...

...WallyWorld sells 2lt. bottles of something called "Grapette" for about $.78. Destroying this stuff w/, say, a 100gr. 7mm Sierra HP @ 3500-3700fps is a "community service", just about the most fun you can have for a buck & a quarter, & brings a whole new meaning to "Purple Rain"...

That does sound like a bunch of fun. I imagine I could get a little food coloring or something to make the water a different color as well..

Fotis, I had a great time and my son really enjoyed it as well. Anything to keep him on the range and poppin primers is good by me. 13 year olds have a short attention span, so this was a nice break in the day. Scotty
 
...adding some baking soda & vinegar or alkaseltzer to pressurize the bottles works, but each bottle of "Grapette" you kill removes it from the food chain...
 
Back
Top