Montana Youth Season! Abby kills a buck! Pics and Video!

DeerTracker

Handloader
Nov 19, 2010
I took my little sister out yesterday morning and we could have shot a whitetail doe but we held off. Abby wasnt in a big hurry so we just watched them. This morning I picked her up at 6:45am and we headed out of town after we stopped at the gas station to get her some breakfast. We pulled up to where we parked, got our gear and walked out to the edge of the hill and sat down. There was only 2 does and 2 fawns that I could see in the field but Abby spotted two deer about a mile away.

I zoomed in on them with the video camera to see if they were bucks or does. We determined they were both bucks so we walked back to the truck and made the loop around them on the highway to save us a 2 mile walk to get the wind in our favor. We got down in a small drainage below the stubble field they were in. I peeked up periodically to see where they were since they were feeding towards the trees to bed down. We got to the corner of the field where they cross into the trees and crawled down in an irrigation ditch and we were within 200 yards of them.

I could see their backs but thats it. One buck raised his head and crossed the old railroad bed where we couldnt see him anymore. The other buck continued closing the distance and was now at 50 yards. Abby couldnt decide whether to shoot or not. She passed on him and we were thinking that was it for the morning. Then I looked up and saw the other bigger buck standing on the railroad bed. He walked down in the ditch where we couldnt see him but I could see a gap where he would appear.

He stepped in the gap and licked a branch on a bush for a bit. He started walking and I grunted to stop him. He was quartering to us at about 100 yards. Abby let fly and hit him. Initially, i thought she had hit him too far back right in front of his rear leg. I replayed it on the video camera and didnt like how it looked. So we gave him a bit and went to look for blood. I couldnt find any so I starte down a trail. We walked about 50 yards and came up out of a little dip and there he was laying dead! The shot didnt look great on the camera but she ended up hitting him farther forward than I thought and took out his lungs and liver. She is 4 for 4 with her little Marlin XS7Y 7mm-08 and handloaded 140gr Accubonds. I think she has only had to shoot one of her 4 bucks twice. All others have been one shot kills!

We were ecstatic! We took a bunch of pictures and then Abby gutted him! This was the first time for her so we took our time and showing her and she did it with minimal help! So now Ill have to buy her a knife for Christmas so she has her own! I had a blast with my little sister today. She is growing up and isnt so little anymore and this was a perfect way to end her last Youth season since she will be too old next year. So here is the pictures for you guys and I hope you enjoy them!

My little Ranger got to haul its first deer today!

Here is the video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_Qq-3sT ... e=youtu.be

Note the Escanaba in da Moonlight references :) Watching this movie before we go hunting has become a tradition for Abby and I. We forgot to watch it Wednesday night before the Youth Season opened because abby was at the football game. We saw nothing worth shooting yesterday. So Abby came over last night and we watched it. So naturally, watching Escanaba has brought us good luck again!

Thanks guys! One of the best days Ive ever had. Ill remember every minute of it forever!

Tell Abby congratulations, and thanks for the pics and video. Its really great to be able to share these experiences with your sister.

Congratulations, Abby! You're on a roll. Superb job. You deserve a knife of your own.

DT- ya ought to become an outfitter. You have many skills. I always enjoy your posts.

Her grin says it all.

OUTSTANDING! Both of you should be very pleased, that's quite a buck and she did well.

Guy

DeerTracker":27pb6uj8 said:
Note the Escanaba in da Moonlight references :) Watching this movie before we go hunting has become a tradition for Abby and I.

This is a tradition the night before the opening of the deer season at our camp as well!! :mrgreen: Gotta be able to laugh at ourselves and enjoy family.

Congrats on a dandy buck!

Superb !
Yes that young ladies smile say it all !

Love the video.
Thanks for sharing it.

Back