2011 Hunting Pictures

I broke in the .280 yesterday afternoon. It performed as expected... mushy lungs compliments of a 154 SST.

DSC09113.JPG

DSC09122.JPG

Trevor,

The .280 simply works. Great deer you have there.

Scotty,

What more can I say? The .358 barked and deer dropped dead. Your son has his mojo working on deer now. You've created a monster that won't ever again be satisfied with merely watching a video game; he'll want to be part of the action.

Nice work, Rovert! Where were you hunting?

@Scotty - your son is a heck of a shot to hit a running deer from a treestand. I grew up hunting over dogs and it's tough as can be to hit running deer. Tell him congratulations from an old-time dog hunter from way back. Somewhere in a box I still have my "Florida Dog Hunters Association" ball cap. I especially like the pictures of him with his warpaint. I'm hoping my son gets into it with me next year. He has shown almost no interest this year. We'll see how it all turns out.

Yup, the ol' .358 in wooded areas? Pretty hard to be beat :grin:

Reminds me of the Win. 71 in .348wcf.

Jim

Thanks, guys. Congrats again to you and your son, Scotty. We often drive deer in rifle season and they occasionally get moving pretty good, which makes the shooting tricky. I imagine that they're pretty much flat out with dogs behind them.

Dubyam, I'm in south central PA.

Kodiak":32jp2syl said:
Yup, the ol' .358 in wooded areas? Pretty hard to be beat :grin:

Reminds me of the Win. 71 in .348wcf.

Jim

Jim, that is the EXACT rifle I am lusting for! I have no idea why I want one so much, but I do. I hope to have a chance to get one. I don't care if its a Browning remake or an older Winchester, but I absolutely think it is the epitome of a woods rifle. The Browning BLR 358 is just awesome though.

ROVERT":32jp2syl said:
Thanks, guys. Congrats again to you and your son, Scotty. We often drive deer in rifle season and they occasionally get moving pretty good, which makes the shooting tricky. I imagine that they're pretty much flat out with dogs behind them.

Dubyam, I'm in south central PA.

You are right about that Trevor! Lots of time, they are moving out.

DrMike":32jp2syl said:
Trevor,

The .280 simply works. Great deer you have there.

Scotty,

What more can I say? The .358 barked and deer dropped dead. Your son has his mojo working on deer now. You've created a monster that won't ever again be satisfied with merely watching a video game; he'll want to be part of the action.

Yeap, you can't beat the 358 for hammering deer or bear, up close and personal.

Dubyam, you are right about that. I was very proud of him for keeping his composure during the shot. Hitting moving deer in thick cover with a scoped rifle is tough for me and he made it work. Very proud of him. I don't plan on giving up hunting elk, but hunting with the hounds is a good time and a cool change of pace. Scotty

Plus, us Southern type knuckleheads aren't done yet either! Should be some cool coyote and wolf pictures from you Northern guys before too long! Great year. Our board has really became very active. From the guys I have met on here, there isn't a single bloke that I wouldn't love to hunt with! True story! Scotty

Scott - Looks like y'all had a blast. Very nice bounty. Feels great to see your hard work pay off with your loads and your boys.

Trevor - nice buck. The 280 is the cartridge I'd love to have but probably never will. Even thought about buying one for my son but he's too enamored with the .270.

The .358W scored again. This time in the PA woods. My friends daughter hit a buck in the paunch and it doubled back on us drivers, when I put it to rest. I love the ease in which that BLR shoulders up, even when tracking a running deer. Near shoulder hit, mid-rib exit, 15 yds till touchdown.

Thanks, guys.

CC, that .358 BLR is a great rifle. Sounds likes its a real hammer on deer as well. There's a Whelen in my future someday as my 35 cal., the .358 Win definitely has a lot of appeal, though.

I think I'll have a long happy relationship with the .280. The only thing the .270 has on it is factory ammo and the endorsement of some guy by the name of O'Connor. If you ever get the opportunity, give one a try, I'm sure you'd like it.

Well hopefully I posted picture right. Anyway here is the 3x3 blacktail I took the last day I was able to hunt the Muzzleloader hunt I had. I chased bucks around everyday I hunted. Either I spotted them way off and they slipped away or I jumped them and they took off to fast. I will admit I missed a couple of shots. Anyway took this deer with about an 80 yard shot when he was standing broadside across a buckbrush flat. I was shocked when I got up on it and saw the unusual rack. not bad for a front loader w/ open sights. I used a 50 cal 318 grn cast bullet I made and used 105 grns of Shockeys gold powder in a Traditions Evolution.

Attachments

• Image12012011112845.jpg
    938.4 KB · Views: 1,286
Very nice buck RR! Great shooting with the muzzle loader as well. Seems they still do the trick! Scotty

RR,

Those antlers have some real character. Congratulations on a fine representative of the species.

Wow, Great Pix, Great Memories and Great Stories.

Congrats to all for the 2011 Season as it winds down.

Rod

Back