2012 Nebraska Muley Buck

.280 Remington

Handloader
Jan 17, 2012
As some of you know, this year has been a little up and down. I lost my hunting property last year and was very disappointed, as getting permission in NE is getting harder and harder every year. Luckily I was able to secure a large tract of land to hunt on and I’m very blessed to have it. It took quite a while to find my way around the place and I finally got a pretty good sense of the place during the last two weekends.

Opening weekend was cold and blustery and it sure kept the deer moving. But I passed on quite a few bucks, both WT and muley. Sunday afternoon had me staring through my scope at a giant buck and for lack of a better term I “screwed the pooch” and did not harvest that deer. I was sick, but you just have to get back out there and get after it.

So Saturday, that’s just what I did. I had talked to the LO earlier in the week and he said the “big boy” is alive and well and had been seen on Wednesday. So I leave the house on time and head for my spot. About 15 miles up the road I’m going over my mental checklist of needed items, when I got to “tag”, I realized it was in my other pickup. So I flip around, head back home and grab it, now I’m 30 minutes late. GREAT!

Pulled through the LO’s yard heading for the hills and a good place to glass. Just as I’m pulling through the lane to get to the pasture a single buck and doe head outta there. He’s a nice buck, not a giant, but a very nice deer. At this point I decide, he’s a good “last weekend” deer and I grabbed my stuff and set off after him, following in his last general direction of travel.

Fast forward about an hour and a mile. I got up high and started to glass ( I needed to sit down, WAY to many clothes)! As I glass around the hills, I see a set of antlers gleaming in the sunlight. That’s my boy! I see another vantage point where I may be able to take a shot from, I back out and make my way through the bottoms and up on top once again. I range him at 444 yards. Not taking that shot. So I move back down into a dry creek bed and make my way to the next hill and get a range, 293. Ok I said, I can do this. Put out the bipods and prepare for the shot. Just about ready to shoot and he beds down out of sight. Crap.

At this point I decide “I’m goin in” Back down into the bottoms once again and around the bend and up the next one I go. The wind is PERFECT, but the sun is right behind me and casting about a 25-30 ft shadow. Well, we’ll just see how it goes. I creep up the hill very slow, being very careful of my foot placement and any sounds. Just as I about crest the hill he stands up facing away from me. He had to have seen my shadow. He turns to investigate and finally presents a shoulder. I place my crosshairs right behind the point of the shoulder and let the 120gr TSX fly. Bang Flop! Paced it off, 25 paces!

9F49BDDB-0D52-4317-AA90-FBE26BCB20AE-11892-00000AB5E5FD32BD.jpg

So I headed back to the truck to get all my gear which was about a 1.5 mile walk. When I get back land owner is there and says “take the side by side and have my boy go with ya.” So Sam and I grab all of my gear and head off after him. Very nice and respectful young man. We are able to drive right up to him in the side by side. We snap some photos and commence to cleaning the deer. He asked a lot of questions and I gave him all the answers as best I could. Talked a bunch about anatomy of the deer and which organs were which. He was very inquisitive, and rightfully so for a 9 year old boy.
So we got him cleaned out and headed back down the hill. We got him loaded in the truck and he was headed off to play with his cousins, but made a point to come back over and shake my hand and say “thank you for taking me along Sir, I really enjoyed it.”

That right there was almost better than shooting my deer, seeing that in this country there are still kids out there that are being brought up the right way. So without further adieu, here are some pics!

My helper for the day, Sam.
32E52CCA-0B2B-40C4-9484-37AD4CF11B6B-11892-00000AB886C6774B.jpg

If you notice in this photo below, the bandoleer that he is wearing was given to him by a pretty special group of SEALS.

2DFA326B-FC8D-44F3-949C-D805AE1BFF66-11892-00000AB89A028807.jpg

D338F586-3473-4A13-9E72-90AE75C68CEA-11892-00000AB5DFF35D38.jpg

C05C02CF-E8A3-40AF-8D8C-D47D7FA7C1CE-11892-00000AB5D5F8CA67.jpg

That is simply OUTSTANDING!

Congratulations - and I'm glad you got to share part of your hunt with young Sam.

Regards, Guy

The rifle is a 2007 Remington LSS Anniversary .280. It's the first time in 17 years I have used a different rifle for any big game animal. It's the rifle that I got from Northwoods Hunter(Tom) and he's been shooting my dad's 308!

I should've carried the 45-70 that day, as I snuck up on him to 25 yards!

That's a great story and thank you for sharing it with us, and your day with that young lad. Quite a young man in the making. That is an awesome deer, and when you described that LSS .280 my heart began to flutter! :grin:

Great buck Mike! That rifle looks pretty awesome perched up there! Great story and great hunt!

That story is well worth the read. The buck is pretty nice, but the account of teaching young Sam is priceless. Congratulations all the way around, Mike. Consequently, I picked up the same rifle last spring, and I still haven't shot anything with it. Perhaps this spring I'll change that.

DrMike":1nlwtuon said:
That story is well worth the read. The buck is pretty nice, but the account of teaching young Sam is priceless. Congratulations all the way around, Mike. Consequently, I picked up the same rifle last spring, and I still haven't shot anything with it. Perhaps this spring I'll change that.

Since that Remington shoots so well, you want me to hold that 280 FWT! Haha :lol:

SJB358":fe2lnbl4 said:
DrMike":fe2lnbl4 said:

Since that Remington shoots so well, you want me to hold that 280 FWT! Haha :lol:

It could be arranged.

Nice mule deer buck and even better, your son got to participate in the action of cleaning and loading the deer into the vehicle. Alway great for a 9 YO boy to get some hands on hunting experience.

THAT is one heck of a buck! Way to put the ol'e "flattlander" sneak on 'em. Congrats! CL

Way to go! Sounds like you worked a few things out. Always good to have a hunting buddy to share in the excitement. I too have always been a fan of the LSS models.

Thank you everyone for the kind words! It was a great day. Now I'm losing sleep over the big boy that is up there and thinking very hard about a muzzle loader purchase for December's season!

.280 Remington":1wvkqyb3 said:
Thank you everyone for the kind words! It was a great day. Now I'm losing sleep over the big boy that is up there and thinking very hard about a muzzle loader purchase for December's season!

Spoken like a truly and seriously infected mule deer hunter. :mrgreen: Go get 'em, Mike.

Back