2014 Hunting Pictures

My hunting pal Larry's 2014 muzzleloader season buck taken near Silverton Co. 29"x29"

facebook_1202051237_zpsc4a917db.jpg

Nothing wrong with Larry's buck. He did very well. Beautiful rack on that deer.

Great buck! Antlers way out past the ears, and looks like thick antlers too...

Nice.

And a fine first deer. Congratulations to your daughter; she did very well indeed.

congrats to your daughter....looks like a nice shot and a great first deer. Priceless picture. CL

Congrats to everyone so far on their success.

Well its that time of year again and my hunting buddies and I are leaving early sunday morning for our annual moose hunting trip in northern Alberta for 1 week. We have 4 tags in camp for the Early season and 2 tags for the Late season come November. Weather has really cooled off in the last day or 2 so we should hit the rut PRIME. Hopefully we have better luck than last year as that was the first time in 22 years of not harvesting at least 1 bull. High pressure of more people into the area (easier access now-high grade roads :( ) and wolves. The wolves have be coming into the cow calls and the bulls went silent.

Anyhow, I am all PUMPED UP !! That was last year and this the NEXT !! Being out in the bush, we some of our friends we see only twice a year.

We made a family day trip with 5 of us out of the 9-10 in our group almost 2 weeks ago. 13 kids and 10 adults. One of my friends and I have been here in this area now for 23 years. Our old camp location was about 400m to the east but the area got logged about 5-6 years ago so we moved west into the old timber along the cutline.

We toured around a bit and then stopped at our camp location, pulled out the firepit and had a weiner roast, then continued on touring the cutblocks and cutlines till about 5pm. It was a blast. Seen some fresh tracks where the moose were coming for water and some fresh rubs. It was the first time my wife seen where I have been moose hunting (I dont know if thats a good thing our not :lol: :wink: )and same for my 2 boys. My oldest (8) gets to come out for a day/night and leave the next afternoon along with one of my other friend's 9 year old boy. My boy is so looking forward to coming out. But his hockey is starting and he wants to hit the ice!!

Here are a couple pics. First one is leaving from the trucks with my ...new-to-me toy...2009 Yamaha Rhino all loaded up, including full rear rollcage, rear set and the BIG plus...FOX piggyback shocks.
2uqlm5g.jpg

Pic at camp.
2qd2vz6.jpg

As you can see, we are a Yamaha group. My good friend is a 5 Star Yamaha dealer, and my Rhino was his personal one until last November when he sold it to me. This year will be 2 Rhinos, 3 Vikings and one 700 Grizzly quad.

Quick recheck with my rifle (never did shoot it last year except at the range prior to leaving) at the gun range yesterday at lunch with my nephew and his new rifle (Sako A7ss 270WSM) and 140gr Accubonds in the Winchester Supreme ammo. My Sako m75ss 300WM (my main goto rifle and traditional moose camp rifle since 1997)with 180gr AccuBond reloads still just as good. 2 shots at 100m = 3.5" high PERFECT. Shot the 200m target-PERFECT, then the steel gongs at 300m, 400m and the 500m......no problems...dialed in as ever before.

Keep you all posted when we get back.

I took this 8 pt at 41 yards with a Mathews MXB320 and a Rage in the rib cage.
DSCN07531.jpg

DSCN0755.jpg

JD338

Scotty, I missed the photos of your daughter's first deer until now. Congrats to you and yours as well! That's outstanding! :)

Jim, what do you think of the Rage? Pretty nasty broadheads huh?

Thank you Guy. Appreciate it.

Like Guy I also missed the pics of Scotty's daughters first deer, great job on a successful hunt and harvest. That little Savage rifle got the job done.

Jim that's a nice bow kill you have there got to be some good eating.

Scotty, are you going to do a mount of her first deer?

truck driver":2dxh6mgh said:
Like Guy I also missed the pics of Scotty's daughters first deer, great job on a successful hunt and harvest. That little Savage rifle got the job done.

Jim that's a nice bow kill you have there got to be some good eating.

Scotty, are you going to do a mount of her first deer?

Man, that ain't no Savage! HA! :lol: I'll give you a couple other guesses to figure it out...

Nah, I am not mounting it. I really am not a huge "mounting" guy. I will likely bleach the skull for a Euro mount or something. It is stuffed in the freezer right now, till I can skin the buck. I'll make a nice little plaque when I can too. I'll have some fun with it.

Jim, you've done well with your stick and string. You are definitely making me sorry that I didn't get out in the early bow season this year. Congratulations on a fine little buck.

Scotty,
Great job with your daughter.
That's awesome!
My guess is your Western Auto 222.

Been a while since I posted so may as well share some pics of our 2014 elk hunt here in Saskatchewan!!!

Not too shabby for opening morning!!!

The bullets are from my .338 RUM and are Barnes 225 TTSX, recovered from the biggest of the 2 spikes. Hit him 3 times at 475 yards and these two went into the front of his neck / shoulder area and i found both of them in his RR hind quarter!!! The other three elk were shot under 140 yards!

The youngster in the pic 2nd from Right is my oldest son (15 yrs) and this is his 3rd elk in 3 years!!! Pretty good track record I think!!!! And his damn old trusty '06!!

Attachments

• 2014 elk.JPG
    2014 elk.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 1,327
  • 2014 elk 2.JPG
    2014 elk 2.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 1,327
Congratulations to the hunters. You've got a fine track record; it'll be hard to improve on it. Trust you keep up the good work.

Little brother took a deer using his new 257 Weatherby today using the 120 PT.. Seemed to work well for him!

Looks pretty tasty to me

Apapro looks like a fine hunt and perfect performance from your 338

Back