2024 Colt versus Springfield Mil-Spec Defender 1911's

filmjunkie4ever

Handloader
May 4, 2011
After selling a few other guns, I have decided that for Father's Day or possibly my birthday in July I am going to finally get myself a 1911 .45. I briefly considered a 10mm but with the ubiquity and price points of the better established .45, please don't try to change my mind. Its what I want.

In my time I have shot probably close to a dozen different 1911's and I loved every one of them. This will be my new EDC once purchased and proven. What I cannot decide at this point is whether I want to spend the extra $300 and get the Colt. The Springfield is definitely the less expensive. I do not have the money for a Kimber. The new 1911 Colts are made by CZ and are currently available for just under $900. The GI look is just fine with me. Does anyone own either or both of these handguns? Any advice?

I don't plan to handload, just shoot 230 grain FMJ factory loads or possibly try some of the lighter stuff if it functions/feeds without any problems. I have heard great reviews about both but would love your opinions.

Not quite the same, I have a Springfield TRP that I carried on the job. It has to be 20 years old now. I dont’ shoot as much as Guy but I bet it’s fired 5000 rounds. It has never balked once that I recall. If colts are made in Europe and Springfields are made in South America, well, I guess you flip a coin. I think you win either way. Enjoy Father’s Day!

Well, my tongue in cheek answer is to buy one of each. Seriously, though, if you can go hands-on with both, I would look at fit and finish to see if there is a quality difference to keep up with the price. Personally, I am skeptical, but you may find the Colt is $300 better quality than the Springfield.

The 45 ACP in a 1911 is a great choice and definitely a proven performer on paper as well as peeps.
Colt and Springfield are both very nice. Have you checked out Kimber? I absolutely love my Tactical Pro II.

JD338

Personally I would opt for the Colt. I have shot and carried a Colt 1911 for 30+ years and have never regretted one bit having owned it.

Nothing wrong with the Springfield - Don't own one but have seen them in the stores & they look nice.

I have four handguns in the 1911. All but one are Colt's. All are .45 ACP. Two are serialed to 1948 and are custom jobs done my my friend, the late F. Bob Chow in San Francisco. Another is a Chow gun based on a Caspian frame and Colt gold Cup slide. Number four is a Colt Combat Commander .45 ACP that except for some minor work is strictly stock. The work done was smooth out the feed ramp and throat and replace the was too small tang grip safety. I have rather small hands and with the factory tang safety it will eat a hole in the web of my hand in just a run of two magazines. Since working on the throat I find it will even feed ammo with wadcutter bullets.
I've shot my son in law's Ruger 1911 and it seems to be a nice piece. One day at the range, there was a fellow who brought a group of Japanese business men to the range so they could shoot a few guns. I had just packed up to go home when he showed up so we talked a bit and he asked for my help. I had my Hunter Ed instructor cap on that that. What happened is they men got to shoot a few guns including a Rock Island 1911. That was the jammingest dude I've ever handled. None of us ever got through a full magazine without incurring a jam or two.
No idea on the Springfield 1911s so no comment. I'll just agree they work until prover otherwise.
Paul B.

Sorry but I can't give any advice on which is better though I do own both manufactures 1911s in .45 ACP.
Both have been heavily customized and are totally different from what you can buy in a gun shop.
I would look at one manufactured by Sig if I were looking for a carry gun that I needed to depend on for everyday carry.

Sorry but I can't give any advice on which is better though I do own both manufactures 1911s in .45 ACP.
Both have been heavily customized and are totally different from what you can buy in a gun shop.
I would look at one manufactured by Sig if I were looking for a carry gun that I needed to depend on for everyday carry.

Same here ... I prefer having one from the original mfg's therefore opted for the Colt even though I own other brands as well. Carried my Colt 1911 for about 10 years before sending it off to Wilson Combat for a list of extensive work I wanted done. Carried it for another 20+years and still own it & still shoots great.

Same here ... I prefer having one from the original mfg's therefore opted for the Colt even though I own other brands as well. Carried my Colt 1911 for about 10 years before sending it off to Wilson Combat for a list of extensive work I wanted done. Carried it for another 20+years and still own it & still shoots great

Last edited:
The 45 ACP in a 1911 is a great choice and definitely a proven performer on paper as well as peeps.
Colt and Springfield are both very nice. Have you checked out Kimber? I absolutely love my Tactical Pro II.

JD338
Hey JD, hows Tactical Pro II for smaller hands? Need custom grips or stock ones good enough? Gonna demo it and few others after a gun training next weekend

My wife and daughters have shot my Kimber and they didn't have any problems that I recall.

JD338

Currently own 3 1911s none mil-spec style. Two are 45acp and one is 9mm. Two are Springfields, Ronin 45 5in and a Range Officer Elite Champion 9mm. One Kimber Compact Stainless 45acp. I have never owned a Colt. Nothing against them. Like the Kimber put it doesn't do anything that the Springfields don't. If I were to buy another 1911 tomorrow it would be a Springfield most likely. Dan.

Back