212 ELD-X 300 WSM

bob_dobalina

Handloader
Oct 6, 2009
Hey all, I have a SAKO A7 300 WSM. Longest COAL length I think I can get away with is about 2.997 due to the short magazine. I measure the distance to my lands at 2.385. So of the SAAMI spec, I calculate my freebore is = .2574. I found a good load with ELDX's in another rifle .02-.03 off of the lands, per Hornady's recommendation. Is there any way to know if I could pull of the 212 eldx in the SAKO short of buying them?

Hey all, I have a SAKO A7 300 WSM. Longest COAL length I think I can get away with is about 2.997 due to the short magazine. I measure the distance to my lands at 2.385. So of the SAAMI spec, I calculate my freebore is = .2574. I found a good load with ELDX's in another rifle .02-.03 off of the lands, per Hornady's recommendation. Is there any way to know if I could pull of the 212 eldx in the SAKO short of buying them?
The greatest cartridge ever made...😎

That said I'm not understanding your last sentence/question

"Is there any way to know if I could pull of the 212 eldx in the SAKO short of buying them?

Sorry, a hard question to ask. I'm asking if, given my specs if I could come anywhere near the lands and if the bullet would be seated too deeply and intrude into the powder too much. I guess I can figure out the last part given the bullet length, but not the first part without knowing "length to ogive". Mostly I was hoping someone had tried it and could chime in!

Bob, they should shoot! I love them in the 30-06 and I am pretty sure the bullet will work fine for you. It is a very accurate bullet. I am a little confused with the OAL's you listed but either way, I'd bet a buck it'll work. Those were designed to shoot with normal SAAMI throats on the majority of 30 calibers.

Sorry, a hard question to ask. I'm asking if, given my specs if I could come anywhere near the lands and if the bullet would be seated too deeply and intrude into the powder too much. I guess I can figure out the last part given the bullet length, but not the first part without knowing "length to ogive". Mostly I was hoping someone had tried it and could chime in!
Would you like me to mail you a few so you can mess with the seating depth and see if it will work?

Guy

Thanks guys, apparently my question made no sense at all haha. @Guy Miner , sending me a bullet would certainly be the easiest thing to do or I'll just buy a box of them next time I see them. Thank you that's very generous. But I am planning to play with some LRXs first so I will reach out when the time comes if I decide to take you up on it!

I'll try one more time - what I was asking is if I'm limited to 2.997 COAL, am I going to be a country mile from my lands? I don't think there's any way to "calculate" this which I was attempting, I just have to give it a try it in my gun and find out!

Makes sense Bob. You may not be too bad off. The WSM doesn’t have a long throat really. I’m betting it’ll shoot if you have the twist. They’ve been good for a few folks and myself as well.

Why not ask Hornady what their 300 WSM loaded ammo 212 ELDX COAL and CBTO is? I am sure they would tell you and then you can go from there

Why not ask Hornady what their 300 WSM loaded ammo 212 ELDX COAL and CBTO is? I am sure they would tell you and then you can go from there
Yes if they told me COAL and the matching CBTO I could figure it out, I'll ask them. Or if they told me length to ogive for the bullet itself

I found them to like being seated pretty tight to the lands and that was Hornady's recommendation when I emailed them
Bob, I wouldn't sweat it too much myself. If you could score a box and give them a shot, I would think you'll be okay. It is not always about the jump, but neck tension, throat dimensions, etc. While I try to load them close to start off, if I can't, I will still load them to max magazine length and give them a whirl. I have found the ELD's to usually shoot really well and not be overly fussy.

Back