22-250 1:7 twist

slyfox

Beginner
Apr 18, 2022
Sure do need some help. I have a Pro-Hunter in 22-250 with a 1:7 twist barrel (haven't received the barrel yet). I have the Nosler RDF 85 grain HPBT bullet and IMR 4831 powder. Is this combination possible and if so, any recipes? Many thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum, and yes its possible. Your twist is fast enough to stabilize the 85 grain bullet. Nosler shows the data that you can use for your powder / bullet combination. You can start low and work up in your rifle, not all rifles are equal nor use the same loads due to different chambers with different reamers and different case volumes. I don't use other people's loads or recipes, and I work up my own loads for my own rifles to be safe for the above reasons. Hope you get your rifle completed soon and I wish you the best results at the range. An 85 grain bullet in a 22-250 should be wicked and flat shooting.

I use reloader 26, H-4350, in my 22GT's and H-4350 and MRP in my 22 Creeds.
I figure the GT is going to be closer to the 22-250 capacity, than the Creed...I have not went and checked before I posted this.
The slower H-4831would be safe too. I am not sure where the burn rate of the IMR 4831 is compared to H-4831sc, but it shouldn't be a problem.
Do a little research, and then go have fun. I run 80-90 grain bullets in my above cartridges.

I ve shot 36.6 grs of imr4831 in my 8 twist 22-250 with 80 gr Berger…. 3/8-1/2 moa. Sierra has it as their accuracy load in one of they re older manuals. Probably want to back down to 34 grs or so and work up as you re using a bullet that’s 6% heavier.

Back