.22 Long rifle picks

T
Only time I shot 500 yards on steel with a 22lr Clone Charger.
lyL1uPcl.jpg
That's awesome Ernie!

JD338

@remingtonman_25_06 , thank you . this is very helpful .
found my drop chart I've been using . I'm out of elevation at 300 yards . your drops just about match up perfectly from 50 - 300 . so I shouldn't get any big surprises needing more elevation than your chart , shooting out to 450 . our short range is 50 - 450 , with a target every 50 yards . we could get a 500 target , but there isn't much extra rise behind it , so for safety we ended at 450 .

there's only 3 or 4 of us guys that bought 22's . the other guys bought CZ's , I bought a tikka . I haven't even tried different ammo in mine yet . the other guys bought an assortment to play with . I think they have decided what they want to shoot .

I bought the Tikka T1X . I put the light trigger spring in it . I have a 20MOA base on it . I put a scope on it I had laying around . it's a Leupold 6-18 with the ADJ OBJ , and target turrets , with the fine reticle . I don't have any idea how small it will shoot at 50 or 100 .

couldn't agree with you guys more , this is fun .

@remingtonman_25_06 , thank you . this is very helpful .
found my drop chart I've been using . I'm out of elevation at 300 yards . your drops just about match up perfectly from 50 - 300 . so I shouldn't get any big surprises needing more elevation than your chart , shooting out to 450 . our short range is 50 - 450 , with a target every 50 yards . we could get a 500 target , but there isn't much extra rise behind it , so for safety we ended at 450 .

there's only 3 or 4 of us guys that bought 22's . the other guys bought CZ's , I bought a tikka . I haven't even tried different ammo in mine yet . the other guys bought an assortment to play with . I think they have decided what they want to shoot .

I bought the Tikka T1X . I put the light trigger spring in it . I have a 20MOA base on it . I put a scope on it I had laying around . it's a Leupold 6-18 with the ADJ OBJ , and target turrets , with the fine reticle . I don't have any idea how small it will shoot at 50 or 100 .

couldn't agree with you guys more , this is fun .
Definitely worth trying at least a few different types of good match ammo at 100-200-300 yards to see what your rifle likes. The biggest inconsistencies I've seen with 22 ammo is the vertical. Also lot numbers play a huge factor, even with the same ammo. With that said, it's very addicting once you go down this path haha.

I decided to only shoot SK as I'm not paying $20/50 rounds for eley/lapua ammo, even though it will be your best bet for accuracy and consistency. SK is only around $80-90/brick for 500 rounds. I still get 1 flyer out of every 10 rounds or so with the SK stuff. It also shoots very well with the CCI Standard velocity, but after 200 yards you really need to shoot them all to see what they're really doing.

Last edited:
Definitely worth trying at least a few different types of good match ammo at 100-200-300 yards to see what your rifle likes. The biggest inconsistencies I've seen with 22 ammo is the vertical. Also lot numbers play a huge factor, even with the same ammo. With that said, it's very addicting once you go down this path haha.

I decided to only shoot SK as I'm not paying $20/50 rounds for eley/lapua ammo, even though it will be your best bet for accuracy and consistency. I still get 1 flyer out of every 10 rounds or so with the SK stuff. It also shoots very well with the CCI Standard velocity, but after 200 yards you really need to shoot them to see what they're all doing.
THIS!

I'm just shooting Remington Thunderbolts.
One day I'll try some match ammo.

JD338

I decided to only shoot SK as I'm not paying $20/50 rounds for eley/lapua ammo, even though it will be your best bet for accuracy and consistency. SK is only around $80-90/brick for 500 rounds. I still get 1 flyer out of every 10 rounds or so with the SK stuff. It also shoots very well with the CCI Standard velocity, but after 200 yards you really need to shoot them all to see what they're really doing.
I have no rimfire in the safe , just interested in reading this post. If you guys are getting good results with off the shelf ammo , how far out would the roll your own ammo from CEB be for?

all this talk got me itchy . it's a decent day , but it is windy . I didn't bring all my stuff to the range . bagging up the gun left a little to be desired . I sure can tell the difference between these two ammos , at just 50 yards . when I was shooting the CCI , I kept thinking man I thought I was on . switched to the Eley and I felt much better . I'd say the cheap Eley stuff did ok , under these conditions .

P2230585.JPG P2230584.JPG P2230583.JPG

Need to try some Eley Tenex or Lapua Center X in my rifle just to see what it's really capable of. But gosh dang it's hard to pay $20/50...I'm fine with SK for what I'm doing. It's not a BR rifle. Just for steel shooting and mechanics.

I have no rimfire in the safe , just interested in reading this post. If you guys are getting good results with off the shelf ammo , how far out would the roll your own ammo from CEB be for?
Wow reloading 22 lr now, super cool.

I've been starting to shoot my stock LH CZ 452 American more lately and was reminded how well that gun shoots everything. Lot's of fun that's for sure. I have a Weaver 2.5-7x28 on it but just found an as new Burris Fullfield 6x32 HBR II scope which should arrive in a few days time. Going to use the standard rings I have now but might switch to a 20 or 30 MOA base in the future. I know it's not at the same level as what some of you guys are running but if I can practice out to 300 yards or so I'll be happy. Can't wait till it comes in!

I had previously posted in another thread, but will post here again...with updated info.

I decided that I would like to try this LR 22 stuff out, and plus I have always wanted a LH 22 rifle capable of great accuracy.
I purchased the Bergara B-14R LH Trainer Carbon Rifle (18" Bbl), put a Nightforce Xtreme 20 MOA rail on it and mounted a Burris Veracity 3-15x50 Ballistic E1 FFP scope on it in Vortex Pro Series 30mm Medium rings. This set up weighs 10 lbs 7 oz wih a full magazine, and cost approx. $3,500 incl/ taxes.
Not cheap to go down this path...but could have been a whole lot more with a Vudoo rifle and a NightForce scope!
Not a light rifle set up, nor inexpensive, but I didn't buy this for hunting and thought I would buy once, buy right, for long distance shooting with a rimfire.

I have had it out twice and completed a full set of 5, 5-rounds groups @ 50 yards each time, after a 10 round bore fouling with each ammo type that I was able to acquire, to check on velocities and accuracy. Results as follows for the average of both range trips:
Ammo fps ES SD Accuracy Cost/Box (CDN)
  • Eley Club 1093 27.07 10.19 0.501" $15
  • Eley Team 1075 18.31 8.83 0.403" $23
  • Eley Match 1085 14.91 6.08 0.493" $28
  • Eley Tenex 1095 11.88 4.89 0.500" $38
  • Lapua Center-X 1049 9.37 4.04 0.388" $29
  • Norma Match 1085 15.10 6.63 0.5.01" $27
  • RWS Target Rifle 1099 18.80 6.85 0.552" $12
  • RWS Rifle Match 1081 19.13 7.41 0.580" $15
  • RWS Special Match 1083 9.44 4.12 0.404" $18
  • SK Long Range Match 1092 15.13 5.91 0.412" $15
While the Lapua Center-X was the most accurate on average (and produced the smallest group average over all of 0.325" on the first outing) there is a limited supply available, and is more expensive than the RWS Special Match which produced the third best group size average (by 0.001" more than the second place finisher) at the better price and most local availability, I have decided to lay in a supply of it for the interim (now have 8 bricks to work with as I continue to test and shoot at longer distances).

Interestingly, the Eley Match and RWS Special Match both matched the manufacturer's listed velocities from their longer barrels in the Bergara's shorter 18" barrel.
And the Lapua Center-X and RWS Special Match both produced single digit ES's and SD's of 4 fps.

I have enough of each type of ammo to duplicate to testing at 100 yards to see how each performs at that distance, for average group size. Should be interesting to see how they compare at the 2 distances.

I agree, shooting the 22LR is fun, and I look forward to shooting it further out and learning how to hit those longer distance targets with this Bergara rifle!
It is very gratifying to be able to shoot such small groups at longer than normal distances with the 22LR!
Used to be able to hit empty shotgun hulls at 100 yards regularly with the open sights on my Winchester Model 69A! But my eyes are not what they were 35 years ago! Glad to have the scope now! LOL

I had previously posted in another thread, but will post here again...with updated info.

I decided that I would like to try this LR 22 stuff out, and plus I have always wanted a LH 22 rifle capable of great accuracy.
I purchased the Bergara B-14R LH Trainer Carbon Rifle (18" Bbl), put a Nightforce Xtreme 20 MOA rail on it and mounted a Burris Veracity 3-15x50 Ballistic E1 FFP scope on it in Vortex Pro Series 30mm Medium rings. This set up weighs 10 lbs 7 oz wih a full magazine, and cost approx. $3,500 incl/ taxes.
Not cheap to go down this path...but could have been a whole lot more with a Vudoo rifle and a NightForce scope!
Not a light rifle set up, nor inexpensive, but I didn't buy this for hunting and thought I would buy once, buy right, for long distance shooting with a rimfire.

I have had it out twice and completed a full set of 5, 5-rounds groups @ 50 yards each time, after a 10 round bore fouling with each ammo type that I was able to acquire, to check on velocities and accuracy. Results as follows for the average of both range trips:
Ammo fps ES SD Accuracy Cost/Box (CDN)
  • Eley Club 1093 27.07 10.19 0.501" $15
  • Eley Team 1075 18.31 8.83 0.403" $23
  • Eley Match 1085 14.91 6.08 0.493" $28
  • Eley Tenex 1095 11.88 4.89 0.500" $38
  • Lapua Center-X 1049 9.37 4.04 0.388" $29
  • Norma Match 1085 15.10 6.63 0.5.01" $27
  • RWS Target Rifle 1099 18.80 6.85 0.552" $12
  • RWS Rifle Match 1081 19.13 7.41 0.580" $15
  • RWS Special Match 1083 9.44 4.12 0.404" $18
  • SK Long Range Match 1092 15.13 5.91 0.412" $15
While the Lapua Center-X was the most accurate on average (and produced the smallest group average over all of 0.325" on the first outing) there is a limited supply available, and is more expensive than the RWS Special Match which produced the third best group size average (by 0.001" more than the second place finisher) at the better price and most local availability, I have decided to lay in a supply of it for the interim (now have 8 bricks to work with as I continue to test and shoot at longer distances).

Interestingly, the Eley Match and RWS Special Match both matched the manufacturer's listed velocities from their longer barrels in the Bergara's shorter 18" barrel.
And the Lapua Center-X and RWS Special Match both produced single digit ES's and SD's of 4 fps.

I have enough of each type of ammo to duplicate to testing at 100 yards to see how each performs at that distance, for average group size. Should be interesting to see how they compare at the 2 distances.

I agree, shooting the 22LR is fun, and I look forward to shooting it further out and learning how to hit those longer distance targets with this Bergara rifle!
It is very gratifying to be able to shoot such small groups at longer than normal distances with the 22LR!
Used to be able to hit empty shotgun hulls at 100 yards regularly with the open sights on my Winchester Model 69A! But my eyes are not what they were 35 years ago! Glad to have the scope now! LOL
Good stuff! I've also ran similar tests at 50/100/200/300 yards with about 10 different match loads. It gets pretty interesting past 100 just an FYI...Some stuff that shoots 1 hole groups at 50 doesn't always shoot good at even 100 yards, let alone 200/300. It's a super fun way to spend a day at the range and get some quality trigger time in. It gets pretty addicting going down the long range 22 rabbit hole...Enjoy!

Last edited:
Back