.22 Long rifle picks

TackDriver284

Handloader
Feb 13, 2016
We have the F Class high Power monthly, and i was informed that another group of shooters also has a .22 PRS match monthly. Some of those shooters have expensive .22's such as Vudoo, and customized CZ 457's and Kidd and I have never seen a Vudoo shoot, but one guy has a Kidd, and it shoots lights out, and one fella customized his CZ 457, but did not shoot as well before he customized it. The Kidd and CZ 457 run up to about a grand, and the Vudoo runs up to about 2.5 grand.
Do any of you guys have information about your custom .22's to share with us such as type of .22, action, barrel, stock, glass and how it shoots for you? Wanted to see if there are any pro and cons before buying one. The Vudoo is capable of shooting half inch groups @100 if using the right factory ammo.

I would pick the features that you like the most.
Is the up to a grand on the CZ and the Kidd, after customization cost or the starting cost?

I've heard nothing but good on the CZ 457.
The Vudoo is very nice but pricey.

JD338

Don't forget about the RimX actions and putting your own 22 together. You can put on a prefit and add a stock of your choosing. Kinda of a nice way to roll.

I have a Ruger 10/22 since 1967, think I paid 50 bucks for it, shoots pretty good after a million rounds. Saw some of those high end 22s shoot last fall. I was really surprised.
The CZ was well represented in that match, seams like a good one to start with.

I would pick the features that you like the most.
Is the up to a grand on the CZ and the Kidd, after customization cost or the starting cost?
Not quite sure on exact price, some fellow mentioned he customized his own 457 and spent about a grand with the rifle shipped plus customization, as for the Kidd someone purchased a Ruger and bought the barrel, trigger, stock to customize it.
I like to have a custom .22 builder build the rifle and have it target tested and shipped, no worries about adding stuff to it. Just take it out of the box and shoot it.

Don't forget about the RimX actions and putting your own 22 together. You can put on a prefit and add a stock of your choosing. Kinda of a nice way to roll.
RimX actions are nice, if I could do more searching and find the right person to do the custom build.

I have a CZ457 with a Bartlein, Boyds varmint stock with adj cheekpiece, 8 oz trigger, Area 419 30 MOA base, and a Vortex Venom 5-25x. I've made hits on a 20" plate pretty consistently at 500 yards with SK long range. 300 yards is a breeze on 10" plates. I participate in a few local PRS 22 shoots every now and again. Mainly just a toy to get some trigger time at the range between the big rifles. Something that's cheap, don't have to reload and waste components. I'm close to $2500 into it altogether. Totally happy with it. Haven't shot 22s in almost 20 years before I got into this game...

BTW you'll be pretty hard pressed to see 1/2 MOA from any 22, even a vudoo at 100 yards for 5 shots consistently. It might do it every now and again, with the most expensive Lapua/ELEY ammo, but even then they usually average around 3/4 MOA more times than not. My CZ averages 1 MOA for 5 shots with various brands of SK standard, rifle match, and long range. The wind is what gets you with the 22s...

I also have a built 10/22 with a KIDD barrel that shoots just as good as the CZ for the most part, its only set up out to 300 though. Still a lot of fun.

20221031_095411.jpg
Snapchat-887438018.jpg
Snapchat-681967007.jpg

Last edited:
Not quite sure on exact price, some fellow mentioned he customized his own 457 and spent about a grand with the rifle shipped plus customization, as for the Kidd someone purchased a Ruger and bought the barrel, trigger, stock to customize it.
I like to have a custom .22 builder build the rifle and have it target tested and shipped, no worries about adding stuff to it. Just take it out of the box and shoot it.
I have not kept up with the rimfire world. I don't know what smith's to recommend to you.

If I would've known I'd been that much into the CZ after it was all said and done, I probably would've just went the vudoo route myself. However it just started out as a stock 457 American sporter with the 24" barrel for a range toy, and I just kept going down the rabbit hole from there...First was the Bartlein, then came the Boyds varmint stock, then the trigger, then the scope, then came the PRS matches, etc...

This was my first match. I placed 5th out of around 20 shooters. I'm also the only one without a fully decked out actual PRS rifle that doesn't weigh 20#. Not bad I'd say when your up against guys who do it every weekend with a dedicated PRS rig...

Not sure what's more fun, shooting 500 yards with a 22 and hearing steel, or 1K+ with the centerfires. Either way I don't think you'll regret the Vudoo route. They are definitely shooters!
Snapchat-1479749843.jpg
Snapchat-317626286.jpg
Snapchat-856246203.jpg
Snapchat-478027426.jpg

All this high tech....
My old school barrel bobed and suppressed 581 Remington toys with MOA accuracy off the bench at 100 yards with Norma TAC 22 subsonic on a calm day and even better with R50. Not saying this is the be all 22 rimfire, but that old rifle can stack them into a tight group despite it's light weight and heavy trigger.

Last edited:
Jim,
I ran into this with my Remington M541T-HB and the VX-II 4-12x40mm which has target turrets. I made a shim for the rear base from an aluminum sparkling water can. I had looked for a 20 MOA base and didn't have much luck. I don't recall the MOA from 100 yds to 250 yards but it's a bunch.

JD338

@remingtonman_25_06 , how much elevation do you dial to reach 450 yards , and 500 yards ?

I'm out of elevation at either 300 or 350 , and need to buy a scope with enough elevation to reach our long target .

thanks
I have to dial 65 MOA on the Venom, and use the Christmas tree reticle at 30 MOA hash mark to reach 500...it's 95 MOA

Most guys don't realize how much elevation it takes to shoot 300+ with a 22LR lol. That's why I have the 30 MOA Area 419 base and the Vortex Venom scope for it. I researched it quite a bit for 500 yard shooting before I made my decision on how and what to go with. Strelok Pro is also an invaluable ballistics app. It's too bad our phony government banned it last year, but I'll always have it!

Screenshot_20240223-060919_Strelok Pro.jpgScreenshot_20240223-060911_Strelok Pro.jpg

Last edited:
Oh it's a ton of fun. I went 7 for 10 on a 20" plate my first attempt.

What was really funny is a couple guys showed up to the range and asked what I was shooting and how far just as I was setting up for 500 yards. You should have seen the look on their faces and their jaws on the floor once they seen and heard the steel ring at 500 yards with a 22... Needless to say, the next time I seen them at the range, they had their own LR 22s 🤣

Oh it's a ton of fun. I went 7 for 10 on a 20" plate my first attempt.

What was really funny is a couple guys showed up to the range and asked what I was shooting and how far just as I was setting up for 500 yards. You should have seen the look on their faces and their jaws on the floor once they seen and heard the steel ring at 500 yards with a 22... Needless to say, the next time I seen them at the range, they had their own LR 22s 🤣
You are not kidding. Even though I only have a 250 yard range, it's a hoot to shoot with the 22 rimfire. Brinky72 was over last weekend and brought his 10/22. We had to use Kentucky windage but quickly got on target. I told him it the most fun you can have with your pants on and he agreed. He left here muttering something about adding a MOA base and a different scope with turrets.
I bet he's still grinning.

JD338

Only time I shot 500 yards on steel with a 22lr Clone Charger.
lyL1uPcl.jpg

Back