.22 rem fires

yellow dog

Beginner
Sep 17, 2012
While I don't consider my self to be a Guru Business man, Or a master of the manufacturing industry.

It would seem to me if your ten years behind on orders that you would build another line and start turning out product, of coarse why do that when you an buy up all the competition and control the supply.

I would sure like to see another company start manufacturing rim fire bullets.

Does any one know if there is a home machine to load your own .22 bullets? I have been searching youtube and found some stuff but its way time consuming.

Don't know about the machine but the priming would be hard.
Its a paste or compound that was originally put in and spun which disperses it along the rim. (its also why you don't leave the bulk boxes in the sun without having some misfires :grin: )

My guess is that this whole situation will be in a business school textbook in a few decades.

The bottom line is always the bottom line. While the current demand for .22LR is sky high- there's little indication that the demand is here to stay. This "shortage" happened basically overnight and could disappear overnight. It's a shortage that is only propagated by itself. The demand isn't "real"- much of the current inventory is just being stored by folks for a variety of reasons...not shot up. From a manufacturing standpoint...that's a red flag since that inventory is very likely to reduce future demand at some point.

The other wrinkle is that the profit margin on .22LR is so low that it basically works against the idea of opening more production. If I had $1M to expand production, it would go toward a product line with far more margin than rimfire ammunition. Centerfire rifle ammunition or shotgun shells have a much higher profit margin along with a more predictable demand cycle.

Winchester cut the middle by re-purposing some of its powder actuated tool line into rimfire ammunition with the .17WSM (based on a nail gun cartridge). That was smart...don't know if the .17WSM will have legs in the market or not but reception has been lukewarm to date. While it was a "new" rimfire cartridge, it isn't exactly a replacement for a .22...

Back