220gr Hawk RT & 250gr Hawk RT

bullet

Handloader
Dec 26, 2007
Worked on some Hawk bullet loads for my Savage 300Win Mag and my Ruger Hawkeye 358Win.

Here are some beginning results with both rifles and loads. There is great potential for accuracy with both rifles and bullets. I will be working up the velocities some with 358Win. TAC and W-748 are showing a lot of promise with the Hawk 250gr RT (jacket thickness .035). Tac gave me 2336fps, but was not as accurate as the W-748.

TAC works better for accuracy in my 358Win when it is at the upper end so I still have a little room to work with TAC. I have a lot of room to work with concerning the W-748 which only gave me 2194fps, but it was a mild load. Today was a great start. The Savage 116FHSS did as usual, shot great and had great velocities. The Ruger Hawkeye is shooting this bullet good like it does the different 225gr bullets I have used.

The 220gr Hawk RT (jacket thickness .035) will be my heavy for caliber load with my 300Win Mag. The apparent stringing is my fault, I pulled my third shot.

220gr Hawk RT, Win brass, CCI250 primers, 71.4grs of RL-22, 2741fps
62c74735.jpg

250gr Hawk RT, Win brass, 9 12M primers, 47.5grs of 748, 2194fps
a97bf097.jpg

Looks good Mike.

I tried them once. They were good on accuracy but stopped using them due to the stripped jacket syndrome. A shooter blew his rifle up.

POP":pys32bkr said:
Looks good Mike.

I tried them once. They were good on accuracy but stopped using them due to the stripped jacket syndrome. A shooter blew his rifle up.

I have used them off and on for quit a few years now and have had no problems and no jacket separation on game. What shooter, what caliber?

Mike,

I loaded Hawks for sometime in my .356, but switched to Kodiak Bonded Core. They gave me greater accuracy, were cheaper and packed a tremendous punch on game.

I am wrestling between the 220gr Hawk RT and the 220gr Nosler Partition semi RN in my 300Win mag for heavy bullet. If I can get the Nosler to shoot better then that could settle the argument. The 250gr RT Hawk in my 358Win for a heavy bullet is perfect for the velocities of the 358Win. For deer and and hogs as well as black bear I am settled on the 225gr AccuBond. There is great merit to the purer copper and purer lead Hawk bullets like was with the Barnes Originals.

I am going to try the 250gr Partition again to compare and also have some 225gr Partition coming. Wish I could get my heavy load settled with my 358Win, I am wearing myself out, for real :shock: :shock:

That is a sweet pair of loads Mike! Looks like there is some real promise in the 358 Win with the 250's. The 300WM is just a shooter anyhow! Scotty

Also have 200gr Partition Spitzers coming for the 300Win Mag. I know, it is all insane, if I weren't so anal retentive about my loads and always looking for the perfect set up, I would be at peace more often, but it sure is fun getting worn out like this. :mrgreen: The only one more worn out than me is probably POP in providing me with a constant stream of data. Don't you guys just love him for doing that :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

beretzs":2hufv4mt said:
That is a sweet pair of loads Mike! Looks like there is some real promise in the 358 Win with the 250's. The 300WM is just a shooter anyhow! Scotty

You know Scotty, you are so right about my Savage 300Win Mag, it is just a shooter indeed.

I have been focused on the 200gr PT for the 300WBY and 300WM. I think it provides the best of the 180 and 220. Granted, it isn't as niche perfect as your loads, but I like to keep it a little easier! Great load work though. I enjoy reading about your 300 and 358 loads. Gives me ton's of ideas. Scotty

beretzs":24kkxdml said:
I have been focused on the 200gr PT for the 300WBY and 300WM. I think it provides the best of the 180 and 220. Granted, it isn't as niche perfect as your loads, but I like to keep it a little easier! Great load work though. I enjoy reading about your 300 and 358 loads. Gives me ton's of ideas. Scotty

I have some 200gr Partition Spitzers coming for my 300Win, reloading is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are going to get. :mrgreen:

POP":21avbkp1 said:
http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Board=11&Number=2281035&Searchpage=1&Main=182937&Words=hawk+todbartell&topic=0&Search=true#Post2281035

Why did you have to put a fly in the ointment???? Interesting! He did not say if the jacket that remained in the barrel initially did the damage to his rifle and eye or if he fired another round and the jacket jammed the new bullet in the barrel. Lot a questions there, and one is was it the fault of the bullet or a combination of what and how he was loading the Hawk? I never had a Barnes original or Hawk bullet cause this kind of problem and I have over the years sure put a lot of them down range. I know Hawk will tell you to start 10% below any book max and work up. Yes, interesting, and POP did you have to complicate my day? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Sorry Mike. they are so "soft" that fast twist will also wreak havoc on the jackets. :shock:

POP":3iacchjv said:
Sorry Mike. they are so "soft" that fast twist will also wreak havoc on the jackets. :shock:

Now see, there you go again POP, complicating my simple and nostalgic life. :shock: :cry: :lol:

I know what you are doing!!!! You are trying to get me to see that if I want a bullet to open up fast and initiate a devastating wound with the ability of the mass to more than likely exit, while holding together as it goes through bone, that I would have to settle for the Partition as an heavy for caliber bullet for my 358Win and especially my 300Win Mag. Your not fooling me, you work for Nosler, :lol: :lol: 8) :mrgreen:

bullet":2kz7tsqx said:
Your not fooling me, you work for Nosler, :lol: :lol: 8) :mrgreen:

And I couldn't work for less! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Yes, I hear you and I really like Partitions. Not sure if I will go with the Hawk bullets. I really favor the 220gr Partition semi RN for my 300Win mag heavy for caliber bullet. Also, favor the 250 and 225gr Partition for the 358Win. If the Partitions have as good or better accuracy I plan on going with them. I just don't want my core slipping out of the jacket on heavy muscle and boned animals. Although I have used Hawk bullets in the past, I did not use them on anything of real size. Well, I will work this out. :wink:

bullet":f7796qns said:
I know what you are doing!!!! You are trying to get me to see that if I want a bullet to open up fast and initiate a devastating wound with the ability of the mass to more than likely exit, while holding together as it goes through bone, that I would have to settle for the Partition as an heavy for caliber bullet for my 358Win and especially my 300Win Mag. Your not fooling me, you work for Nosler, :lol: :lol: 8) :mrgreen:

What you are describing is exactly what the Partition has been doing for over 60 years. Tough to beat a Nosler PT.

JD338

JD338":39wv3pxy said:
bullet":39wv3pxy said:

What you are describing is exactly what the Partition has been doing for over 60 years. Tough to beat a Nosler PT.

JD338

I KNOW - I KNOW - I KNOW - I KNOW = I REPENT!!!!!!! I used them for years and a 180gr Partition Protected Point actually saved my life, and after all these years of load work and trying different bullets while hunting with them and looking for the perfect all around bullet - I keep coming back to them. GO A HEAD AND SING "JUST AS I AM" I am already coming down front!! :oops: :oops: I WAS BLIND AND NOW I SEE AGAIN :shock: :shock: :shock:

Back