.222 Rem Mag Vs .223 Rem

John57

Beginner
Jan 26, 2006
Gentlemen,
Greetings from Australia. A friend and I were having a few beers and discussing various calibres (as you do), and .223 as opposed to .222 Rem Mag surfaced. From what I can gather, the .222 will do everything the .223 does, but ballistically "easier". My understanding is that both rounds were developed for miitary use, and the .223/5.56 won out. (Comments?) So, a few questions to you all

Does anyone regularly shoot the .222 mag, and if so do you think it is worth the trouble, bearing in mind it's not a readily obtainable calibre. (Not over here anyway.)

One of the attractions of the .223 is of course it's availability, both the rifle and factory loads, particulrly an abundance of mil surplus ammo. What sort of accuracy do you reckon you could achieve using mil surplus rounds through a decent bolt action rifle and scope combo?

P.S. My friend has a .270 win and I think he wants to know about these things 'cause the .270 has a bit of a boot when you press the button. (My friend - not me.)

Regards to you all John.

The .223 and the 222mag are ballistically identical. The 222mag case is obsolete and there would be no reason to select this case over the .223 which is readily available in most places around the globe. Match quality brass is also available for the .223, not so for the 222mag.

The 204 Ruger is built off the 222mag case. I think that Ruger had to use this case, rather than the .223, in order to put their name on the commercialized cartridge. The 20cal built off the .223 case has been around for some time now and is called the 20 Tactical.

Basically, the 222mag is DEAD and has been for many years.

I fail to see a problem. A friend sold me a Sako L461 action, blocked off to be a single shot action. I put a Hart SS 24" barrel on it in .222Rem. Mag, and put it in a McMillan fibergrain stock. That sweetie will shoot in the .2"s with great regularity. Most .223s aren't going to come even close to it. My entire rifle weighs a tad under 9lbs. so I can tote it aroud the woodchuck fields easily enough. Remember the .222Rem. Mag. was also a benchrest cartridge so don't think it's any slouch. It isn't at all. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Back