.222 rem with 60grn NPT bullet

Red Grouse

Beginner
Apr 21, 2007
Over here in Scotland we are able to use a .222 on deer.
Any one got any good loads for the .222 with the 60 grn NPT bullets .
Thanks .

Have you shot the 60 grain bullets in your .222 Remington before? I had a .222 Remington Magnum some time back and it wouldn't stabilize the 60 grain bullets. In order to shoot the 60 grain Partitions you'll need a barrel with a faster twist than 1-14".
Have fun hunting the Scottish Roe Deer. After seeing lots of them in Germany and Poland thoughout the years, I have gained a strong desire to hunt them one day!
-TB

TBASTIAN
Thanks for you advice. I have not shot the 60 grns in my .222,which has a 1-14 twist. So best stay away from them , shame thought. Have you tried the 55 grns BT on any thing. Are they quite fragile.
Thanks
A

Red Grouse

Welcome to the form.

TBASTIAN is spot on, 1:14 twist is too slow to stabilize the 60 gr PT.
The 55 gr BT, like all 22 cal BTs' are varmint bullets.

JD338

If you want to use a 222 for deer, you should use the Partition. THey don't make a 22 cal AccuBond and the next best thing is the part. Balistic tip bullets in 22 cal are designed stricly for rapid expansion.

Well it looks like that I will have to stick to the 50 grn Norma's. They do a very good job on the Roe deer here.
It is not the size of the bullet but where you put it that counts.
A

I use the 55 grain BT in Nosler seconds for all of my small varmints: ground squirrels, rock chucks, etc. They work great on this size animal. For coyotes and up to Roe Deer, I'd really look at the 55 grain Sierra Gameking, BTSP. It holds together a lot better than the BT, and will stabilize just fine in your rifle. Hope this helps!
-TB

Hi,rifles are like people,they're all different!I have a Sako 75 that shoots bullets from 40-63grs with no problems at all.My rifle has 1-14" twist.I was doubtful as to whether it would stabilise bullets over 55grs but 60grs Nosler Partitition,Norma 62grs SP and Sierra 63grs SMP all shoot accurately.See if you can scrounge a few bullets to load and see.Regards T

As much as I hate to say it, the Nosler Partition will not work in your application because of your twist rate. The BT is too frangible. Thanks for joining the forum.

Nosler3":n74hn6ov said:
As much as I hate to say it, the Nosler Partition will not work in your application because of your twist rate. The BT is too frangible. Thanks for joining the forum.

If this was a 22-250 with the same twist rate but higher velocity, would
that have a better chance of working?

Back