223 coyote load

Gunner46

Handloader
Jan 12, 2015
I'm in Ohio. I'm going to using a Bushmaster CR15, with a 16"-ish barrel. I'm really not going to get all hard core into 'Yotes, but every now & then I want to get out regardless the the current season.

I'm thinking a 55 BT.

Thoughts?

I've used them in my ruger #1 .22-250 with devastating results, but the holes are pretty big.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're saving pelts I would use 50 gr BTs. In my .223 the 50gr usually doesn't exit and puts them down right now.
Billy

I'm also in Ohio
I run the 55 vmax with Benchmark

Edit: they usually don't exit either

I run the 77 grain Tipped Sierra Matchking or 75 grain Hornady HPBT. I run H4895 for both and they seem to work fine for coyotes or whatever else you'd use a 223 for.

The 40 BT. works damn good also ,honestly you can shoot anything you want that nosler makes out of your ar 15 depending on the twist of your barrel , and get good performance coyotes .

I use 55 gr NBT and 25 grs of H335. The 40 grainers with Varget are great too and no pelt damage.

50 g Zmax over H322 (or XBR) is the ticket on yotes.. show stopper (not fur friendly) and under $60 for 500 packs for the bullets. Nice flat shooters that do the job.!!

.. or if staying with Nosler, 55 g BT orange points.

50 g Zmax over H322 (or XBR) is the ticket on yotes.. show stopper (not fur friendly) and under $60 for 500 packs for the bullets. Nice flat shooters that do the job.!!

.. or if staying with Nosler, 55 g BT orange points.

Other than the zmax ......only other bullet I will shoot at yotes are the 77g Nosler custom Comps believe it or not. And those work well with XBR in my stuff, but obviously those take a faster twist and a little more thought on the long ones due to drop. I dont think Nosler recommends them for hunting ...but in my experience they do surprising internal damage..ymmv. More fur friendly ....but as i said, the

#1 pick for me 50g Zmax

Been using 55 gr NBT and 748 for years. Loaded to AR mag length so I can use them in bolt gun or AR.

Back