223 deer round

irocbarry

Beginner
Sep 5, 2006
before you jump all over me let me explain

i have a doe tag this year for population control, theres deer friggin everywhere.

since i just bought my 223 i figured i might as well use it for something usefull

i plan on using the 60gr PT and keeping the shot within 100 yds, in reality itll probably be 25-50 yds.

since i have yet to load for this gun/caliber i have no experience with it, and what powders etc. to use

so i was wondering what kinda powder and how much you would recomend for this bullet and gun combo for an accurate round with decent speed.

the gun is my stevens 200

also to be even more against what the norm is, whats your opinion in head shots within this range, hitting at the base of the head/top of the neck.
ive seen more deer killed with shots like that then chest shots, and never seen one get away from a head shot, but ive lost a deer with a good chest shot (atleast i believe it was, and the blood trail said it was, the darn thing would not bed down, got very dark, left it to bed and die over night, snowed 10-12 inches that night, worst feeling ive ever had. exact reason i dont use core-lokts anymore)

im assuming that most of the bullets in 22 cal are varmint style, and wont get the penitration, thats why i wanna shoot the PT's

The 22 calibers are varmit rounds, not big game getters, regardless what anyone else will say. Head shots will kill anything but only if the brain is hit. The 22 LR has been known to kill many animals with a shot to the brain.
You would really be better off with a larger diameter and heavier bullet.

JD338

I am as much against using 22's for deer as I am using Matchkings AKA(Trashkings) or other target bullets for big game hunting.

That said :grin: I realize there are states out there that allow such practices. I have buddies in Montana and Texas and they use the 60 gr Partition and the Various Barnes X with great luck so....good luck!

.223 will work fine. Very accurate very deadly on deer. I have never lost a deer with a .223 ( I have freinds that lose them with a .300 win mag because they cant shoot) I use as follows:

60 gr PT
24gr IMR 4064
LC brass
CCI primer
seating depth 2.238

work up to this load use at own risk good hunting

I guess it is all about shot placement! However, even though I have never killed a deer with a 22 caliber centerfire, I think that you are better off with something bigger!!! Just my 2 cents.

i know im better off with a larger caliber, especially if shot placement isnt perfect

i wont make the shot though if i have any doubts about the shot, equipment or situation

what other powders would be good for the 223

was thinking benchmark, since most of what i will end up loading for this gun will be plinking rounds with lighter bullets, would it work with the 60 gr PT also

340boy":38j7pg6b said:
I guess it is all about shot placement! Just my 2 cents.

It always is!!!! No matter what the caliber.

POP":20g47p16 said:
340boy":20g47p16 said:
I guess it is all about shot placement! Just my 2 cents.

It always is!!!! No matter what the caliber.

that is so true

i passed on decent whitetails two years in a row because i didnt like the angle, partly because i figure if i ruin meat i defeated the point of shooting something

if i have any doubts on a shot i dont take it, even with my 300 mag

if i found a big bull, might take a little worse shot as long as i was confident it would still work, they got enough meat that i aint gonna worry about a little bloodshot :grin: but even then it would have to be a decent bull

irocbarry,
I did not mean to be critical or to rag on you, I just know that for me I would rather have a little more "horsepower" when shooting deer. I suppose that with an ideal shot presentation, a 60 grain Partition will kill a deer like lightning. I just always hear these stories about gut shot deer or ones that have had the bottom of their jaws blown off and are starving to death: such images always leave me feeling ill.
Of course, a poor shot with a 338 can do the same thing to a deer, so who am I to judge-other than that for myself, I will probably never shoot deer with a 223/22-250, etc., no matter how good the bullet.

I guarantee that a well placed shot on a DOE with a 223 of ranges up and out to 200-250 will drop that deer on the spot or very close to it. The thing is, here in ORegon we get use .224" calibers for antelope and deer hunting. I have witnessed everything from .222 rem to .220 swift from 50 yards to 450 yards. Bullets used were 55g btips. The deer were either shot in the shoulder and they dropped very fast, and had to put another round in them, or they were shot behind teh shoulder and they ran about 20-40 yards and expired. 22 centerfires work well on deer when you place the bullet where it needs to go. Deer aren't hard to kill. Put just about any expanding type bullet into a deers chest and it will be yours all day long.

In answer to your question yes benchmark is a fabulous powder to use in the .223. I agree with all of the input concerning your choice of caliber. Ultimately the choice is yours, an you have to live with the consequences of you choice - good or bad. As a side note I carry a .22 pistol with me and use it for finishing game if necessary. Yes it works with proper placement.

Just my two cents,
Steve D. the HP

I really don't care if ya name is Annie Oakley or David Tubb; like the man said "The .223 is a varmit round and NOT a deer cartridge!!" :? :cry:

Says who, we the people?? The deer dont know the difference of caliber, or bullet or speed. I'll stand behind my original statement that a .223 will kill deer with well placed shots within its parameters. I'm not saying it will bring down big bodied 4x4's. But does and small bucks are not hard to bring down, period.

Head shots are fine if you are that good of a shot but for me I would rather take a good broadside shot with a .243 than even attempt to shoot a deer with a .22 caliber. At least with the .243 you can use a heavier bullet with greater range and in my opinion more accuracy.

My buddy and I always used F.M.J.s for the deer with a 223. I would think a 60 grain part. would be dandy. Especially with the range and size of deer you mention.

I would have to very close to try a head shot myself but would expect it to work well too.

Irocbarry. Benchmark or Rel-15 would get you started with the 60 gr Partion. Keep them in the heart/lung area and you will be fine.

Greyfox

remingtonman_25_06":16fueuw5 said:
Says who, we the people?? The deer dont know the difference of caliber, or bullet or speed. I'll stand behind my original statement that a .223 will kill deer with well placed shots within its parameters. I'm not saying it will bring down big bodied 4x4's. But does and small bucks are not hard to bring down, period.

remingtonman

I can kill deer with a rock.....but I ain't plannin on hunting with one!! :roll:

Deer can be killed with a 22 rimfire to 416 and my truck.
If you are confident in your shooting ability you will have no problems.
If you question your ability to make a shot that kills instead of maimes dont use the 223.
I think AccuBond Believer's sign off statement is ironic when applied to this subject.

Back