.223 Stevens 55 gr load?

hunt127588

Beginner
Feb 27, 2007
I have started reloading for my Stevens 200 .223 using Nosler 55 gr Spire Points. Can anyone recommend a good shooting load for this setup using:

Varget powder
Winchester brass
CCI 400 primers

My initial tests have found that I can't seat the bullet even remotely close to the rifling due to such a long throat. Therefore, the best groups I have been able to obtain to date are by using 25.4 gr of Varget and loading them to 2.260" giving my .597" @ 100 yards for 4 shots. My next attempt to tighten my groups is to try and use a Lee Factory Crimp die maintain a constant start pressure. Am I on target with the amount of Varget I'm using?

Am I on target?

Now that's funny I don't care who you are. No one can tell you the exact load that will work in your rifle. Start from mid scale working up to max in .3 grain increments and you should find the winning combination. If not some other hodgon powders that MAY work good in your 223 are
BLC2, H322, H335, H4895 Have fun figuring out what your rifle likes.

First of all I would like to welcome you here. You have found the best kept secret on the web--as far as forums go.

Yes you're on the right path. Keep working at it and you will do fine. generally seating the bullets next to your lands does help but it is not a panacea. Look at the Weatherbies with 3/8" of freebore and they still shoot well.

Go here and you will see the suggested loads.

http://www.hodgdon.com/data/rifle/223rem.php

This is max with varget VARGET --------27.5 C--------- fps-3384 ---- 49,700 CUP

Back