.223 with 55 btips?

wisconsinteacher

Handloader
Dec 2, 2010
I plan on loading up some 55 btips in a .223. I have H335, IMR 4895, Varget and IMR 8082xbr. What would you start with and what speed would you be looking for?

wisconsinteacher":15pmzra4 said:
I plan on loading up some 55 btips in a .223. I have H335, IMR 4895, Varget and IMR 8082xbr. What would you start with and what speed would you be looking for?
Depends on barrel length. With a 24" bolt 3,240 +/- Rule of thumb 25 fps per inch so if your looking at say a 16" 3,000 ft sec.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

djauofd":10ofj0ej said:
wisconsinteacher":10ofj0ej said:
Depends on barrel length. With a 24" bolt 3,240 +/- Rule of thumb 25 fps per inch so if your looking at say a 16" 3,000 ft sec.

If you use a barrel which is a polygonial barrel and not an Enfield cut rifling barrel. You can add about 50 ft per sec roughly adds 2" to your ctual barrel length

I have had great results with H335 and 55 btips. I started load work at 23 gr. and had best accuracy at Noslers listed max. of 25,from guide #6. For some reason I did not chrono this load.

wisconsinteacher":3s1ppso9 said:

Of those choices, I would start with the XBR with the 55's.

XBR (extruded) will be much more temp insensitive than the ball powders (and you get some temp swings in your area). And imo (and in my stuff), it is a better in every way compared to varget/extruded. While I have burned a lot of varget in the past, I have most definitely left it in the rearview.

re metering, ball powders meter the best, but XBR is a small particle extruded, and therefore meters great (in chargemaster and Dillon)...and XBR meters sooo much better than varget/flakier extruded....but guessing you already know that as you own them both.

XBR is my second choice behind H322 with light weight bullets for 223. But as you already have the XBR, I would try it first from your list...will surprise me if it doesn't work great for ya. (that typed, all 4 should)

hope this helps give you something to narrow the field, good luck

adding: re speed, I would test until you find the accuracy node, and then determine the speed you end up with. accuracy beats speed imo....they will be plenty fast enough for relative distance with a 55g/223

Back