Vihtavouri powders

I bought 550 for 308win and then bought 560 for 6.5prc. It takes more case fill for the xx5's in those powders to achieve close to same velocity. 568 is the biggest case hog the is, but has its use. From 550-570 it has many uses for many cases. The 100 series is a good fit that uses even more case capacity, but usually has 100-150 less fps. The + side is it has lower flame temp. 560 and 565 should be a good fit for 6.8W.
Thanks for the info. The more I look at it the more I think you're right about 560 and 565. Think I'll grab some 565 and go from there.

Thanks for the info. The more I look at it the more I think you're right about 560 and 565. Think I'll grab some 565 and go from there.
Adding a 7saum to the mix, it shows to like those 2 powders also. VV doesn't post any loads for it. As a few like their fills to be 95-105% is 1 of my like-to-haves also. Not much on those below 95 and especially below 90%. Not saying it won't shoot good, only a preference.

Adding a 7saum to the mix, it shows to like those 2 powders also. VV doesn't post any loads for it. As a few like their fills to be 95-105% is 1 of my like-to-haves also. Not much on those below 95 and especially below 90%. Not saying it won't shoot good, only a preference.
Berger might have some data for you. They were able to help me. 7 Saum is a very similar cartridge to the 6.8 W so the same powders should work.

Last edited:
Berger might have some data for you. They were able to help me. 7 Saum is a very similar cartridge to the 6.8 W so the same powders should work.
I check Hornady, Berger, Speer, Nosler, Sierra and Barnes along with the use of quick load. I'm using ppu bullets for now until deciding on where to go on both 7-08 and 7saum. Both are AR's as is most of my rifles. My only BA's are long actions (264wm, 300wm & 338lm). Hoping someone will start offering AR receivers for long action cartridges at a reasonable price. Although there are a few companies that make AR style rifles in 300wm and 338lm (including 7rm) I don't want to buy 1 and do a barrel swap. Here's an interesting link and a good way for those wanting an AR platform that uses aisc mags.

Gerry, while I have used some Vihtavouri powders, I haven't tried many to date. I would probably go with 560 and 565 first to see how they perform in your rifle.
I would give Mike a call, he has pretty extensive experience with these powders and can probably give you some good first hand advice here...although I know he uses the lighter bullet weights in the 270 WSM (I believe his favourite is the 130 gr E Tip), but he has used heavier weights in other WSM cases and may be able to give some good first hand experience for these powders there that may be useful.

My N 565 arrived in the mail but we're in the middle of selling our house so probably won't get to use it till summer. Hopefully it won't take too long till I can load again.

Back