.224"(.223) nosler ballistic silvertip question...

rickman

Beginner
Oct 27, 2007
hey people Im new here and need some help and what better place then the Nosler people ;)

I want some of the silvertip "Hunting" bullets do they have some for DEER!? I thought a couple years ago when I reloaded some ballistic tips they worked very very well hunting for deer! We "dropped" a couple of nice pretty big deer!! But now Im wondering if I was using varmit load or were they really were for deer like the guy claimed!? any help much appriciated (in other words if there are any ballistic tips in my size for my .223 I want to know where to buy them or what they are called ) thanks a lot everyone.... :grin:

rickman,

Welcome to the forum.

The 22 cal BT's are Varmint bullets! Nosler does offer a 60 gr PT which will work best in faster twist barrels.

IMHO, you will be better served with a larger cal and heavier buller for deer hunting. The 22 cals are not deer hunting calibers.

JD338

Welcome to the forum bud!
Let me first say that I do not concur with using 22 cals for deer. If you must use a 22 you do need the 60 gr Partition.

understand what your saying I use a 7mmWSM myself,and have dropped every deer in their tracks and which is good for me (I have COPD/EMPHYSEMA) but have 2 young boys and a wife that just started and they are staring with it till I upgrade the barrel to a 243,or a little bigger for them,but as I said we have shot and killed lots of deer with this gun (.223) with all recovery's after shooting them (which I know is a problem with people with those small caliber guns,I teach good shot placement,or don't shoot! so I know lots of people knock the .223 but for a starter gun it is a nice youth gun,guess I should have said it was for my youth... :oops: but anyway thanks for the replies and your input just curious about the silver tip,and you guys answered my question I been wondering.
The guy at the "gun shop" is a retard and doesn't know what the heck he is selling :roll: saying it was a deer bullet and I said I believe its a "varmit " load he says " no..no good deer bullet".

Put it this way.. I DO NOT GO THERE ANYMORE! friggin people will tell anything to make a sale :evil: I had a feeling I was right seeings I originally bought the gun for varmit and youth shooting,But I'm going for the 243 or something like 7mm-08 or something (there is just so many nice size guns with lots of power and no kick now days) for the young ones but this year the last boy turned 10 and was scared to shoot anything else after seeing the sound and recoil of the bigger guns I have,So right no I'm using a good 55 grain (heaviest weight I can shoot in my gun with its twist) and I have used them before and work well,even though I found a nice bullet at 65 grain,then came home checked my book for my gun and it recommends up to 55 grain with the twist I have and still have good accuracy. So decided to stick with my 55's :wink:

Anyway as I said thanks guys for the replies and help,I appreciate it! and thanks for the welcome,looks to be a nice site and with good info from you fellas and from what I have been reading.

Always happy to help.
The 243 Win would be a nice caliber but some others to consider are the 257 Roberts, 25-06, 260 Rem, 6.5x55 Sweed and of corse the 7mm08.

You may find one of these in the used rack for a good price. Anyone will do great on deer sized game.

If your son is sensitive to the noise, have him wear ear plugs and shooting muffs. In fact, I started do this years ago shooting competition and my scores went up.

Good luck to you and your hunting family.

JD338

Back